Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Partial video blog



I had another video, but it was too long and I tried to upload it to putfile - which didn't work. So I'll just type it. It's long. Lucky you.

Ok, so after it passed, it was like nothing ever happened. I told a few people about it and it really sounded like I'd had a panic attack - with out the panic. Never once did I feel panicked thru the whole deal. Strange.

On Wednesday, my friend Barb J. came in for a color. She's been working in the medical field almost all her life, so I told her about it. She also said that it sounded like a panic attack until I told her that it lasted for about an hour. We both decided that if it happened again that I for sure should go to the doctor. I, however, didn't expect it to happen again. Fast forward to 9pm. It happened again. It was such a strange experience. About every minute for about 45 minutes, my chest would tighten, my heart would beat fast 3 times, it would take my breath away, and it would be done. The 'experience' would last for about 2 or 3 seconds. That night I said I'd call the doctor the next day.

Thursday Justin was leaving to go North to hunt deer. We decided to meet and have lunch. I can do that at my new job. =) Anyway, we were about half way through lunch when it started again. This time my finger tips felt tingly and my right arm felt heavy. After we left the restaurant, I went home and called my doctor. She wasn't in so I talked to the on call nurse. I told her my symptoms and she said she'd talk to the doctor and get right back to me.

I was doing a hair cut when my cell phone rang. I excused myself to answer the phone. The lady on the other end told me that I needed to go to the ER. Eeek! I explained to her that I had more clients coming. She didn't seem to see the importance. I told her that I didn't want to go to our ER because something bad was wrong with me they'd kill me.
I know, nice.

I finished my hair cut and called the rest of my clients and rescheduled them. There is a lady at our salon that does reflexology. I don't even really know what this is. She was in between clients as well. She said "Come with me. Take off your left shoe and sock." I did. She pushed on my foot. "Can you feel that?" she said. "On my foot?" I replied. She said "Well yes, but anywhere else?" I said "You're manipulating my heartbeat and it hurts my chest." If you could only have seen the look on her face. She said "You need to go to the ER". Wonderful. We know that she knows what she's talking about, right Kim B.?

So I went. It's interesting how fast people move when you tell them you're having chest pains. There was a waiting room full of people, but after some chick with pink eye (giggle) got called back, I was called back.

The doctor on call was a known hardass. I knew he took care of my friend Barb J. when she had chest pain, so I felt comfortable knowing that he was going to take care of me too. He ordered an EKG and a chest x-ray along with a blood work up.

The EKG and chest x-ray were normal. During my stay, Tracy sent me a text asking if I needed her. I didn't think I did. That answer didn't set well with her. She came anyway. I was glad she did.
Thank you Tracy. Having you there made me feel better.

Tracy and I waited in the waiting room to see the doctor. They called me back and we went to a room. The doctor came in and said that so far everything was normal. He wanted to do a echo stress test that would take place on Tuesday - today. He was sending me home with a 24 hour heart monitor so that they could listen to what I was feeling in case it were to happen again. Lucky for the doctor and I, it did.

Before we left, the doctor said that my potassium level was low. He asked me to eat some bananas that night and the next morning. Then he wanted me to come back and have them test my potassium level again the next evening. If the bananas didn't work then he'd have to put me on some medication. I asked if having a low potassium level would make my heart feel this way. He said it could but acted that he didn't think that was it.

The next day I went and had my blood drawn. I'd been having - whatever it was - again. It wasn't pain as I'd normally explain it. It's so hard to describe. Anyway, my potassium level was still low. Normal is 3.6+ and mine was 3.3. Not horribly low, but it was making my body feel all out of whack. The stress test was scheduled for Tuesday and I now had a prescription for something to bring my potassium level back up.

I started the medication right away Friday night. I was still having heart flutters up until I went to bed. Saturday morning I got up and felt better. I took another dose of the medicine. By Saturday afternoon I was feeling much, much better. How on earth could low potassium cause so much problems for your body? Crazy, right?

I Googled 'low potassium' and found the following information from
this website:

Signs and symptoms of low potassium include:
Weakness
Fatigue
Muscle cramps
Constipation
Abnormal heart rhythms (arrhythmias)

I had 4 of the 5. I'd been telling Justin how tired I was. We chalked it up to me working more. Standing and working is different than sitting and working. Hopefully, after getting my potassium level back to where it should be, I won't be as tired.

This evening the doctors office called. They said that they got the reading back from the monitor. My heartbeat was off at times, but they didn't feel that it was beyond the normal range. The doctor felt like we were on the right track with the potassium pills. He said that if it happened again, I would need to consult a cardiologist. I don't think that's going to be necessary - well - lets hope not at least.

20 comments:

Amber said...

Ah hum...I prefer "cool chick with pink eye!"

I'm glad you're feeling better!

Anonymous said...

Hoping and praying that you find all the answers and soon!

My husband had a weird episode a few years ago and it was contributed to too much Mountian Dew. His heart was all out of whack. We did the monitor thing and got him off the Dew. It was scary.

Hope your solution will be as easy as his was :o)

Anonymous said...

Well, you know how I feel about heart issues, so you know I am thinking about you! Hope everything is better now!!

Just Mom said...

Oh my word, Kerrie! What a scare. Hope the potassium thing is the answer.

Heidi Jo Comes said...

well, now you've given us all the info we need if the same symptoms arise! who knew banana's were so important? holy cow!

i am so, so, so, thrilled to hear you talk about how happy you are at your new job. i can just see it in your face.

happy thanksgiving~

Jamie said...

Oh my, that had to be very scary!! I hope the potassium pills help clear all this up. Is is really amazing how something so little in our minds can cause such problems!!

Take care and have a great Thanksgiving!!

Anonymous said...

Glad you are feeling better Kerrie and hope it continues. Also, so glad the new job is going well.
Happy Thanksgiving.
Susan

Tess said...

Wow, that is something. Scary to say the least! I am sure glad everything is ok. I will pray it stays that way!

Hee Hee..
I did have to chuckle because the only other place I have heard of low potassium was my cat, he had it. I am glad they can give you a pill, because he had to take a nasty gel like substance! EWE!

Tess said...

I forgot to mention how nice it was to see your video blog even if it was partial! I always enjoy them!

Anonymous said...

Kerrie,

I normally don't read your blogs however, Sarah does and told me that I should read yours this time.

I have been dealing with chest pain since Jan 27, 07 and a daily basis. I am not going to say all of my symptoms on the blog, but they are similar to yours and I understand alot of what you are going through. I am on my seventh doctor and have had ER/ambulance rides and have been told eveything from I could die, to being told that everything is normal.

I have most recently been told that sometimes in young people we experience symptoms and pain that are just not explainable, and that we are normal.

I think you did the right thing in getting checked out, but my opinion is (I always have opinions) don't get so worried about it that it does get into your head and create an anxiety "of the heck is going on".

Hope everything works its self out. You are two young for this crap.
CC

Cari said...

Wow, how scary! I hope that the potassium pills are the answer, and maybe you can control it with diet in the future after everything gets under control??

I'm so glad to hear how much you love your new job! I sure wish I was closer to you - I haven't had a haircut I liked in almost a year! The girl that I used to go to here moved away 9 months ago.

I went to someone for a cut in Milbank this past summer (someone who shall remain nameless, but we did work with her at the theater once upon a time....) Let me just say that it was possibly the worst haircut I've ever had - and that's including the poodle perm hairdo I had 15 years ago! I could sure use your stylist expertise, Ms. Woob! :-S

Frazzled Farm Wife said...

How scarey! You are one stubborn woman...good thing they finally talked you into going to the doctor! I hope the potassium works and you don't have to go to on to any further doctors or testing.

Kerrie said...

Hi Sarah!

Dear CC,
I for sure thought I was having a panic attack, however, there was never any panic. I was surprised when it was potassium. I hope you're feeling better as well.

Are you sure you don't read my blog, because I've heard that another agent and an HP got my URL from you. It's ok, I'm just sayin'...... ;)

Amanda said...

Cripes Kerrie! Take care of yourself girl!! I've been on potassium pills for about 7 years now and the seem to work well. I've never experienced the chest pains though - scary stuff. I would stuggest that you get a 2nd opinion JUST TO BE ON THE SAFE SIDE! Heart, chest pains...scary stuff.

You did an A+++++ job on my hair by the way. Who knew I could get any better looking....hahahah

Tracy said...

I know for a fact that you'd be there for me in a nano second if I needed you. Or even if I didn't. ~wink~

I kind of love ya...so it was MY PLEASURE to come and sit with you. Goodness girl...you were having CHEST PAINS and no one there for you. ~DUH~

A mom said...

So I am assuming all is still going okay with the pills? I hope so.

Andrea said...

Glad to have your video blogs again!

Wow! Glad to hear everything turned out alright - at least for now!

Lori said...

Hope you are feeling better.
Wow that would've been scary to go through.

So glad you like your new job.
I will be in to see you soon.

Anonymous said...

Sorry it took me so long to read this. I have been busy. I hope you are feeling better.

Loni

Jenifer said...

If I remember correctly from my paramedic class a billion years ago, potassium is an integral part of muscle contraction.... without it your muscles can't contract (or contract too much? that part I don't remember)... but anyways since your heart is a muscle.... you need potassium to keep it regular.

I remember learning that both extremely low potassium OR extremely high potassium can cause cardiac arrest.....

Glad you caught it and fixed the problem!!!!!!