Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Because it's me - why else?

Tuesday I let one of my co-workers borrow my van. She wanted to give a client a ride home but her car was in the shop. I said "Here! Just take the van!" and never thought another thing of it. She got back to the salon about 2:30ish. The blizzard that hit started around, oh, 2:30ish.

I went out to start the van about 4:30ish. To my horror, I noticed the passenger side door all the way open. All The Way Open. At first I thought I was walking up on a crime scene. When I got to the van and looked inside, I realized that wasn't it.

There was a good inch of snow in anything that could catch it - ie: portable DVD player, car seats, front seats - fun stuff like that. EVERY SINGLE THING had snow on it. EVERYTHING. I just about started crying.

I grabbed the portable DVD player and rushed back in the salon. I grabbed my hair dryer and blew it off and let the heat sit on it for a minute. Then I put it in my cupboard to dry overnight.

I pulled my co-worker to the side and asked if she'd locked the van with the remote. She had. "Did you do it with gloves on?" I asked. She had. In doing so, she opened up the sliding door.

I can't imagine how nobody saw the door open to my van. I parked half a block away from the Police Department. I'm shocked that NOBODY either reported it or shut the damn door. Seriously? In a town where I answered 911 calls for 8 years. 911 calls where the person on the other line wanted to report a dog barking - you know - a REAL emergency. Nobody drove by my van and thought it was odd that there was an inch of snow in there and the door was wide open? Nobody? Holy shit!

Thinking that that was bad enough, I took the little kids to Tracy's Wednesday for daycare. The snow plow had pushed a very nice windrow of snow up to her driveway - blocking it. Looking back, I'm not really sure why I thought this was smart, but I plowed right through it. It was hard - like ice. I busted up the under part of my van.

Why, you say? Why did this happen?

Why else?

Because it's me - that's why.

9 comments:

Heidi Jo Comes said...

well the door open, maybe. what did the co-worker say?

but the running mini vans over snow/ice rows is not just you. my husband managed to get us stuck big time in the PARKING LOT of the community center! stuck, very stuck...and in the process do something to the undercarriage as well.

what a horrible day for you.

Mom to many said...

Oh my goodness! That stinks. How is the dvd player? Good job on the calorie counting diet! I started this horrendous excercise program with my husband... I am liking it, once the sore muscles reside. Hope today is better! I LOVE the new background on your blog, too! Way cute!

Amber said...

Seriously, they need to change "Murphy's Law" to "Kerrie's Law".
The van door: On Tuesday late afternoon we were at the eye clinic and the girls jumped out of the van and we all ran inside. I heard Shayla push the button to close the door. After we were in there for about 5 minutes one of the ladies at the office told me my side door was open. I went out there and it wouldn't shut because as the snow was blowing in so much that it was tripping the sensor so the door thought something was in the way!

Andrea said...

Oh, Kerrie! So sorry to hear about your horrible day!!

I can understand the driving over/through the snow/ice row bc heck, I'd probably do it. But nobody noticing your door open for TWO hours, that I can't understand!

So how did the DVD player come out?

Frazzled Farm Wife said...

Yeah, I am having a year like that too...totally sucks!

I can't believe nobody would shut the darn door! Is the DVD player ok? Did you get it all cleaned out?

Amanda said...

Okay - you can actually do damage to your vehicle by just plowing through those bumps? I do that everyday in my driveway! I actually go stuck last week (on N Washington at 8:00 am with the ass-end of my car sticking into the road) making a lot of people cranky because they had to take turns with cars coming the other way in order to get around my car. But not one person stopped and offered to help me shovel my car out. God lots of nasty glares - but no help. What's up madtown? I shoveled around my tires and was able to get out of my driveway and out of the road - but was a little frustrated

Heather said...

Hang in there - today can only be better! (I hope!)

Tracy said...

Gotta love those city guys for piling snow/ice up in our driveways.

Sorry about your van...

:(

Tess said...

Oh my gosh.. I am really surprised someone didn't shut it! Had I seen it I can say - I would have!

That is to bad about the underside of the van. That burm can be really hard! It catches me off guard all the time!