Monday, February 02, 2009

This and that - take 6

I guess I took a couple of weeks off from blogging. I just don't have the time that I used to to sit and actually type out what's in my brain. I blog in my head, but when I sit down I either don't feel like it or by that time - what I've blogged about in my head no longer matters. Here are some things that you've missed.

Nathan, Jack and I all got some sort of sinus infection. Jack, of coarse, needed some help from a nebulizer to get better. We ran out of the medicine and Nathan was concerned. I had to run to the salon one night and on my way out Justin asked if I could buy him some toothpaste while I was out. Nathan ran up to me and said "Mom, where are you going to get Dad's toothpaste?" "Lewis" I answered. He said "Good. While you're there could you get Jack some nebulizer medicine? He really needs it." I seriously just about cried. "I can't just buy it, sweetie. The doctor has to write it down on a piece of paper before they'll give it to me" I told him. Obviously disappointed, he hung his head and said "Shoot. He really needs that." I promised to call the doctor and get him more. That boy is something else. He has a real - true - heart of gold.

Justin has tried to get Jack nebs at our doctors office here before, but they won't give them to him without hearing him wheeze. I really do understand that they can't just hand out medications when they don't see the symptoms, but can't they at least listen to the parent and go off of what they say? Apparently not at our clinic.

Last Tuesday I took Jack to see my favorite doctor, Dr. Henry, in Sioux Falls. He walked in and asked what Jack needed to be seen for. I told him that Jack needed more nebulizers to help get over his illness. We talked about the possibility, again, that he might have asthma. He wanted to know if I THOUGHT (hmmm - a doctor wanted to know what a mother thought? That's why I love him...) Jack needed a neb every day to help him breath. I told him that I didn't think that was the case for now, but he for sure needs a neb every time he gets sick. Not a problem. He wrote me a prescription for a year of nebs and told me to call him if I need him. Dr. Henry - I heart you! Jack's doing much better and that's what's important.

On Saturday night, Justin and I went out for supper with one of Justin's coworkers to celebrate his birthday. We've never been out with this couple before. Keep in mind I worked with this person for 8 years myself, so we've been family friends for a while. We had so much fun. I laughed and laughed and laughed. We're going to challenge them in Wii bowling - mostly so I can watch Rob be a dork. =)

Yesterday one of Natey's little buddies came to the door to see if he could come to his house for a Super Bowl party. It was really sweet, but Natey already had plans. He'd only been counting the days/hours/minutes for about a week. I thought it was sweet that this little boy wanted to invite Natey, but I also found it strange that he waited until 5 hours before the game started. ;)

Anyway, we went to Tracy's for the Super Bowl party and had a good time. There were babies everywhere and I was in heaven. A couple there had twins. How nice of them to have two to spread the love. One was dressed in a Bronco onesie and the other a Vikings onesie. I held baby Bronco and that's what I called her. They were PRECIOUS! The kids had A! BLAST!

So - that's what's been going on at our house.

2 comments:

Heidi Jo Comes said...

i think that a relationship has to be present big time for a doctor to 'trust' the mother's instinct. i have had the same situations over the years, and then would come running back to my doc and complain, and he'd very gently explain that unless a doctor knows your children inside and out and has a true relationship with you, he can not just prescribe based on your info and not an exam. not in a sue-happy world.

but i totally get the frustration. and when you find a doc that you can trust and trusts you, it is worth any inconvienence involved!

oooh, someone else in town is a home divided between bronco's and vikings? i never thought of having two babies to make it fair!

Kerrie said...

I think after being told by the parent that the child has a breathing disorder that the doctor should OPEN THE FILE to check more into it. Then the doctor would see that the child does INDEED need neb treatments to get over a sickness.

No excuse for it. NONE!