Thursday, February 12, 2009

What is it exactly?

I know this happens to a lot of hair people (I'm not even sure what to call myself anymore, Amber), but people tell me things that I'm not sure they'd even tell their best friend. I feel like I give advice all day long. I'm not saying it's all good, I'm just saying that I do it all day long.

I've had a client call my husband corrupt without even knowing that he was my husband. She's mad at him for putting her husband in prison. I try to understand her, but no matter if it was a family business, selling drugs out of your house is illegal. That doesn't make my husband corrupt. Strange.

I had a guy tell me that he was arrested for DUI and plead with the cop to let him go. After all, he was only a block and a half away from his house. I totally understood - there should be a part in that law that reads 'you're only guilty if you are farther than a 3 block radius from your home'. Kinda like tag. If you're 3 blocks or closer to your house - you're on base. Are ya KIDDIN' me? Thankfully the cop that busted him wasn't Justin. He was embarrassed to learn that I had been a dispatcher. He said "Here I am bashing the cops while you were a dispatcher". He clearly didn't know the half of it.

People tell me strange stuff. I listen. I have no filter, so I tell them what I think - good, bad, or indifferent. I think some people might not even care for my mad hair cutting skills (ha), they just want me to talk to them.

Sometimes I swear I'm being punk'ed. For real. One lady told me that she was married to a dwarf and I'm positive I could count her teeth on both hands. I had one lady who has zero teeth in her mouth who's maybe in her mid 40's tell me about her husband who's 74 years old. She's just mad at the world because she's sick of taking care of him. Um - did she not know that life would come to this when she married him? Did she think that she would time warp and somehow become the same age as him? Strange!

In turn, I think my definition of nosey is different than most others. If you sit in my chair and I think something is wrong with you, I'm going to ask you what's wrong and if there is anything I can do to help. I ask my clients a million questions to get to know them better. Most of them are shocked that I remember 90% of it at their next visit - even if it has been months prior. Is it being nosey? In my opinion, no. I'm just interested. If that's what you consider nosey - that's fine.

Anyway, I just thing it's interesting. Do you tell your hair person your life story too?

9 comments:

Just Mom said...

"I ask my clients a million questions to get to know them better."

I'll say.

;-D

Kerrie said...

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

On the flip side the last lady who did my hair was such a drama queen. She had a crisis every time I went to see her. Her husband had West Nile virus, her daughter has been hospitalized for mental issues and is only 16. She has weird health issues unending. I finally quit going to her because my head would be spinning by the time I left.

I know go to my niece. She is super quiet and doesn't need to ask a thing, she already knows all about me.

Amber said...

Kerrie, you'll always be a hair designer in my book! ;o)
Ok, CRACKING up about home base, that's good stuff.
When my girls are 16-22 and you are cutting their hair and they spill all of their deep dark secrets to you and tell you about all of the stuff they shouldn't have done...will you please share with me? Please?

Heidi Jo Comes said...

i actually think that your 'tag law' could go somewhere in south dakota. forget trying to get people to do things like QUIT killing others with their smoke, let's get one of our legistlators to sponsor the Kerrie Meyer drunk driving "tag law": if you can see your house from the cop car, you're safe! :0)

i think it would pass!

i like a chatty hair designer. it makes the time go faster. maybe your clients think they are in a lie detector chair or something...i mean, i like to visit, but i don't disclose everything!!

Tracy said...

I don't tell my hair designer anything...

She might use it against me in a court of law...

;)

Andrea said...

Ha ha! One has got to be careful before one starts complaining or bashing someone/something!!

Yep, my hair stylist knows me (and the rest of my family) really well. She's got over 10 yrs of secrets from me!! :)

Amanda said...

I still wait to get my hair cut until I drive back to Minneapolis. There are occasions obviously where I just simply need a hair cut, but I feel some weird loyalty to my stylist. PLUS – I don’t want to piss her off because she has so much on me…. it’s an incentive to be a good tipper

Sarah said...

Have to agree with Ginger on this one. Theres a "stylist" here in town that was married to a friend of mine. She is up in everybody's business spreading gossip all over town but gets pissed when theres gossip about her. She's so full of drama it's ridiculous.

Interesting idea for the tag law. Well then maybe I wouldn't be employed. But very interesting.

I lvoe how people will berate cops and attorneys to whoever will listen but when you tell them you work for an attorney who's married to a cop, that person just stammers and stutters. Pick a side.