Monday, September 21, 2009

Once bitten, twice shy

I chose to believe that when Ferber came back from his last deployment that he was home for good. In my brain I knew that wasn't right, but I let my heart believe it. I guess it was just easier that way.


Here we are again. Although this deployment isn't for as long, it's just as hard. For some reason I thought it would be easier. I don't have a clue why I thought it was going to be, but I did.

We had supper with Tracy and Ferber last Thursday night. It was just like old times. The boys ganged up against us and Tracy and I acted as if it weren't happening. When we left that night, we decided that we weren't going to say good-bye, not yet.

I wasn't going to go to the Activation Ceremony. I didn't like it in 2003, I was pretty sure I wasn't going to like it in 2009. Then, I realized that I was being selfish. It wasn't about what I wanted to do, or not do in this case. It was about showing my friend(s) that I support them and care for them.

So Natey and I went. I did well through most of the ceremony. Then I lost it....and I couldn't get it back. Heath is a police officer and works with Justin when he's not on active duty with the guards. He spoke at the ceremony. He got chocked up - and that's when I lost it.Here are a few other pictures from the ceremony. Caymen wasn't really into it. She was into seeing what Grandma Sandy was doing, then what we were doing, then what her Mom and Dad were doing - and so forth. ;)
No matter how many times I tried, I couldn't get this picture to go the other way. So there.
I was so very proud of our community. I was happy that the gym was just as packed for this as it would be for a basketball game.This young kid, 18 or 19 years old, was being interviewed right in front of us. I couldn't hear all of what he was saying, but Ferber confirmed that this kid just finished up Basic and volunteered to go with the unit. He's 18 or 19 years old! I couldn't commit to a basket of nachos when I was his age. His actions are commendable.Natey spoke to Grandma Sharelle that night. He told her all about the ceremony. I don't know exactly how the conversation went, but Nathan couldn't believe the "Governor of Pierre" was there.
And so was John Thune.
Both men shook hands with all the soldiers. I was very happy to see that they looked each and every one in the eye and said Thank You to them. Nicely done gentlemen.
Here are a few more that I loved......
Saying good-bye to Ferber on Saturday night sucked. I bawled and bawled. Natey and Claire gave him a hug too, and said good-bye. Poor Natey bawled all the way home. When we got home he said "I missed my dad when he worked at the fair for a week. We won't see Mark again until Clarie's in kindergarten" as tears fell from his face.

I thought this time would be different. I thought it would be easier. I've been friends with this man for 12 years. He's been my buddy for an awful long time. And I was wrong. It hurts - again.

I asked Tracy to take a picture of Ferber and I before we went to the football game Friday night. I didn't want to wait and take it on Saturday when I knew for sure I'd have cry eyes.

Not many things or people can bump Keith Urban off my wallpaper. However, this did.
Pray for Ferber, Heath, and the 111 other soldiers of the 211th Guard Unit. Pray for Peace for their families.....and friends.

9 comments:

Just Mom said...

"Pray for Ferber, Heath, and the 111 other soldiers of the 211th Guard Unit. Pray for Peace for their families.....and friends."

Every day, Kerrie. Every day.

btw ... "Governor of Pierre." Made me chuckle.

Sarah said...

awesome post and great pictures!

Tracy said...

Thank you Kerrie.

For everything.

For your words.

For your friendship.

For your love for our family.

For being there this weekend.

For everything.

Lots of love!

Heidi Jo Comes said...

anderson's, ferbers, abrahams, & poncelet are the names i know and pray for multiple times a day. the others are simply offered up for the soldiers i do not know.

i'm so glad that tracy has people like you...

Amanda said...

Nathan has the biggest heart! We've been praying for the soldiers of the 211th and their families and friends everyday and will continue to do so until they're home.

Tess said...

What a great post Kerrie!! Very very well said. We continue our prayer journey..

Katie said...

Like I've said before; saying Thank You isn't enough. It'll have to do for now. I'm so grateful for having met you. Now you're my friend (for the rest of your life if you like it or not) and I'm so lucky! You're the best!

Anonymous said...

Praying for you, too!

Frazzled Farm Wife said...

I have been praying and will continue to!

You captured the ceremony wonderfully! I felt like I was there and even teared up a few times while reading your post.

Tracy is lucky to have you as a friend...along with alot of other good people by the sounds of it!