Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Science at the Meyer house

Natey's 2nd grade class has been busy raising caterpillars to butterflies in their room. Nathan could get extra credit by bringing caterpillars to school, but instead, he thought it was more important to show the process to Claire and Jack.

One day we went caterpillar hunting and found 7 of them. I've never done this, so it's been as much fun for me as it has been for the kids. Even Jack's into it.

We've been waiting for the caterpillars to make their chrysalis'. Can you believe I caught one in action? Holy smokes I was excited!!! Natey says they'll stay in their chrysalis for 10-14 days before they hatch into beautiful butterflies. I'm SO excited!!! Stay tuned!

9 comments:

Tracy said...

That's pretty cool. Dawson was very excited you got to see one changing. He thought it was pretty cool when class stopped to watch one do it in his room.

That was AWESOME!! Now...can you come teach me science...because I was never really good at it?? ;)

Amber said...

Mrs. S's excitement about butterflies was absolutely one of Shayla's favorite things about 2nd grade!!!

Katie said...

Oh my! You are so lucky to watch it! There were two of mine I thought we'd be able to watch. Nope! In a matter of 5 minutes they did their thing and we missed it! Bummer! Thought we'd be able to watch come out. Nope! Again, 5 min and there the little bugger was. Grrr!

Amanda said...

Alex LOVED this project – but I wasn’t as ambitious to go caterpillar hunting! You’re an awesome mom!

Heather said...

That is SO cool!

Anonymous said...

You are the BEST science teacher I ever had! I hate science, but I was glued to the video.

Love Claire's excitement!!


You have cute kids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heidi Jo Comes said...

okay will you still be excited if they are moths? cuz' that can happen...

Tess said...

Wowzers!! That is very very exciting!! That is an awesome action video of it happening!!!

Just Mom said...

That is so COOL Kerrie! Where'd you find the "callapidders"?

btw ... LOL at Heidi's comment.