Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Remembering Chad

On Saturday, I took Nathan and Claire to Sioux Falls to see the Canaries play. None of us had ever been to a game, so the excitement level was through the roof.Chad Mechels' children got to throw out the first pitch.

After the kids threw out their pitch, the announcer told the crowd how he was Chad's roommate in college and started to read a poem. I was already a bit emotional watching the kids, but when this guy read his poem, it was game over. I lost it. Bawled like a baby - and turned off the camera.We had a great time. There were some girls from the US Women's Softball team there as well.
It was a bit chilly so we didn't stay for the whole game, but we enjoyed sitting in a group of people that loved Chad and wanted to show support for his wife and children. It was a fun time and I'm very, very glad we went.

3 comments:

Just Mom said...

:-)

:-(

:-)


The game in his honor is such a neat tribute to him and his family. Thank you for not recording the poem; I would be in tears now.

Tracy said...

I am so glad you took the kids to honor Chad. I bet his family is forever grateful.

Heidi Jo Comes said...

what a great thing to be part of, and witness, in memory of him.