Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Patience

I used to think I was a pretty patient person. Maybe I never was and I just thought I was. I think what I had at one time is now gone.

I have quite a bit of patience with my kids and I guess that's the best place to have some. But if I have it with them, why not with other people?

A week or two ago, I was standing in line at the check out of our local monopoly grocery store. There was a woman in front of me that I would guess to be close to 60 years old. She had her things on the belt and was almost done having her items scanned when I put down my items. I had a frozen pizza and two bags of M&M's for Nathan and Claire.


The checker was done checking the woman's items and was going through some coupons that the woman presented. While this was taking place, my items were taking a ride up to the clerk via the conveyor belt. Apparently this wasn't ok with the lady. She kept pushing my stuff back. I looked at her like what in the hell are you doing, right. She pushed my items 3 times. Then on the 4th time, my M&M's went flying. WHAT IN THE HELL ARE YOU DOING? Don't worry Mom, I didn't say it - but I wanted to.

I gave her 'the look' as I picked up the M&M's that were now back by the meat department. Ok, so they weren't by the meat department, but come on! What in the heck was her deal? She looked at me all embarrassed and said 'Oops'! OOPS? Not only did she spend my patience for the day, but couldn't she have used a bit of control - or something? For crying out loud!

I have another one to tell you, but I'll save that for another post. I know. I know. You'll be waiting on the edge of your seat.

15 comments:

A mom said...

I hate that store.

Just Mom said...

Patience is a virtue ... that I unfortunately do NOT have. Well...maybe I do. I always find myself gritting my teeth at least once when I'm around some people.

Jamie said...

I am just like you. I have no patience for other people some time.

I am sorry I have to stick up for our one and only grocery store. I am one that compares prices and I have looked at the Hy-Vee add that gets sent out and the local one and they do actually compare in prices. We may not have the variety of SF stores but we actually have a pretty decent store. Now I will not stick up for the rudest and dumbest checkers they have at times!!

Tracy said...

I have (almost) all the patience in the world when it comes to children. Adults on the other hand...are a different story!!

~ Amy ~ said...

on the edge and about to fall off....how long do we have to wait for this next story?

it's so hard to set a good example when some people can be so stupid and rude!

Frazzled Farm Wife said...

Patience is one area that I really need some work in too!

Anonymous said...

That drives me insane when people are like that. Do they honestly think you're trying to get them to pay for your stuff, so you get it at their expense?? Are there people that try to get away with that???

the boedecker family said...

You did great containing yourself, I probably wouldn't have been so nice! I need to work on my patience I guess!

Lori said...

You did a good job containing yourself. I probably would've said something.

Couldn't she just of put the little divider stick in between your items and hers??

Anonymous said...

That is funny. When it comes to being in a store it drives me nuts to have to wait for stupid people like that. When I am in a store I want to get my stuff and get the hell out.
I really am surprised you did not say anything. When we were in Watertown you would have said something. That is where I learned it from. I learned from the best!!!!

Can you hurry and tell the other story. I love your stories because I can just hear you saying them.

Loni

Andrea said...

I cannot believe you didn't say anything! I know I would have - my tongue tends to be quicker than my brain sometimes!

I probably would have asked her if M&Ms bother her or asked her to pick up the M&Ms she tossed!

That was absolutely ridiculous what she did.

Congrats on containing yourself!

Heidi Jo Comes said...

was it the clerk or the customer? either way...very rude. the fact that you did indeed keep your cool (at least in their presence) says much more about your character than hers.

i'm with jamie on this one. i used to be of the mind set too that we are gouged because we only have one store....we aren't. compare prices, compare costs of travel and time- we're not doing too bad. buying diapers?....now that's another story:0)

Amanda said...

LOL - too funny

Seriously though - NOBODY HAS THE RIGHT TO TREAT M&M'S LIKE THAT!!!!!

Kerrie said...

First of all - Amanda - that cracked me up!

It was the customer that sent the M&M's flying.

You've got to be kidding with the prices of our grocery store, right? If you're just driving to SF or Brookings then you might not come out ahead. However, most things are quite a bit higher here. I'm not talking about sale items. Anyone can put something on sale and call it even. Have you ever tried to buy diapers or formula in this town? (Actually, the formula that we get now is only a few cents more here than in SF.) How about a box of cereal?

I'm going to have to do it now. I'm going to have to buy some things in SF (at Wal-Mart - because that's where I go) and then buy the exact same things in our town to see what's what. It will give me something to do - you know - because I have nothing else to do. (Hardy harr harr.)

Tess said...

You are a better person than I!! I would have lost it! Way to remain calm..

I do the majority of my shopping out of town. I can save almost 1/2 the amount of money spent on groceries, bathroom products and paper products by going out of town. I know I am a bad person for not supporting my community but dang it, I can't afford too! If they had prices that were reasonable, I would. Don't get me wrong, I love having a grocery store, which I do use for the milk, eggs, bread etc. But to to the majority of my shopping here would just isn't feasible. Don't even get me started on the savings you can recieve on baby stuff!! Diapers, formula, wipes etc! CRAZY!