Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Potty mouth from the south

I have a high school friend who lives in California. You might have seen Cari comment from time to time on my blog. She and I were great friends in high school. We obviously knew each other from school, but we became friends when she started working at my uncle's movie theater.

She's married to a smarty pants man who works for NASA who's also from Milbank. Does he work for NASA, Cari? I know he does stuff for launches.

She has two children that are in very close age to Nathan and Claire. Gabriel is only a couple weeks older than Nathan and Ariel is a few months older than Claire.

We lost contact after high school, but then at our 10 year reunion we became in touch again and have stayed in touch. She's very dear to me. I know you're reading this....you're very dear to me. :)

She sent out an e-mail the other day telling a story about her daughter. I had tears streaming down my face and asked if I could post it here. Read it for yourself. The e-mail was entitled: Ariel's Questionable Vocabulary.

I'm sorry to admit it, but sometimes words come out of my mouth in times of stress that I am not very proud of. Ariel apparently overheard me using such a word recently.

The reason that I know this is because the other day she dropped something and shouted, "Dammit!"

We were, of course, in a room full of people, and I proceeded to tell her (loudly enough for the rest of the room to hear so they wouldn't think I would condone my child's use of such language) that this is not a nice word and that I do not want to hear her say it again.

Problem solved, right?? Um, no....

The next day I heard her use the word again, so I told her that I knew that she heard me use the word and that it is not OK for kids or grown-ups to say it.

I asked her to help me come up with another word/phrase that we could use instead when we are feeling frustrated. After much discussion, we agreed on "Oh Pickles!"

That was yesterday.

Tonight, as we were grabbing a quick bite to eat at Taco Bell, Ariel dropped her napkin on the floor.

And what did we hear out of her mouth? "Dammit Pickles!!"

It took me 3 whole minutes to compose myself long enough to correct her.

HA!!!!!! Now that's some funny stuff.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

We can try as hard as possible, but there is no escaping that they see and hear EVERYTHING!

It gets even worse when they are older and really understand what they are saying and doing..ahhhh!

Cari said...

Aww man, Ker, you made me misty-eyed! You are very special to me, and I am incredibly grateful that our class reunion re-ignited our friendship. :-)

Stacey doesn't work for NASA, although you're right that he does launch sattelites onboard rockets. It's very cool to be a part of that business - although my kids have no concept of the fact that what he does is sort of unique. ;-)

Frazzled Farm Wife said...

You just never know what will come out of the mouth of babes!

Tess said...

I couldn't stop laughing! Thank you for sharing that story..
Simply adorable!

Heidi Jo Comes said...

very cute story. kids have a way of mimicking all the wrong things:0)

Jen said...

WHy is it they always hear the things we don't want them to but never hear the things they are suppossed to?!

Amanda said...

Dammit pickles - now that is cute!

A mom said...

That is super funny!