Wednesday, November 12, 2008

This and that

***This post was written Tuesday night, but posted Wednesday morning***
It's been one hell of a week already and my mind is racing. I didn't forget Jack on his birthday (with a post). I found out about the upcoming weather and had to figure that out. I really wanted Justin at Natey's surgery - Justin wanted to be there too, but we had to figure out what to do with the two little kids. I'm terrified of ice on the roads, so we decided that I'd take Nathan to SF Monday night and Justin would meet us there as soon as he could on Tuesday.

Before I loose you any more than I already have, the surgery was to take care of Natey's teeth. Remember?

All in all Natey did very well. Tonight, other than being very pale, he seemed fine.

I can't believe that we had to spend that kind of money on his baby teeth. We didn't have a choice - his teeth had really started hurting. At least it's done, but we'll be paying on them for a long time. I really should have been a dentist (except I don't like teeth - so maybe not).

I'm going to be losing my family from Thursday until Sunday when I go pick them up. Justin is going deer hunting and I'm beyond booked at work on Saturday with no other options of child care. Therefore, Justin is taking the kids with him to spend some time with their cousins, aunt and grandma. As much as I guess I should be happy for the 'time off', I'm really not. I'm already missing them and they aren't even gone yet. I'll leave for work on Thursday and see them Sunday. Seriously - this makes me sad.

Today is Veteran's day. It's not a day that I want to overlook. I'm happy that military men and women of today are held in such respect, but many who served in Vietnam still feel shame - and that makes me sad.

Last night on the way to SF, Nathan started talking about War(s). He wanted to know if we knew anyone who was in a war. I told him that Ferber was in a war. He said "Yeah, I know. Anyone else? Was Papa Wood?" I told him that Papa Wood served in Vietnam. He lit up like a fire cracker on the forth of July. He couldn't WAIT to tell his teacher that his Grandpa had been a soldier. I told him that I was very glad that he was so excited and suggested that we called Papa Wood to tell him Thank You for serving our country. He thought if he felt ok that we would. However, he didn't feel like talking on the phone tonight.

I also told him about one of our friends who lived through 2 tours in Vietnam. Nathan was amazed. He wanted to know when the next Vietnam was going to happen. He obviously didn't understand - and that's ok. I'm just happy that he thinks that being a soldier is so cool.

So, for now, I guess that's it. Thank you all for thinking of us while Nathan had his surgery. I really appreciate it.

8 comments:

Heidi Jo Comes said...

the dentist bit cracked me up. so many jobs i think i should have done, then remind myself of why i did not:0)

i completely understand the empty house blues. wait, no i really don't because no matter what, my house is NEVER empty and no one ever leaves me completely alone. but i do understand missing them so much. there's something about the noise and love that is so comforting.

great discussion with nathan about v-day. i think it's overlooked to easily. like our soldiers and all that they do.

Amber said...

Ok, I'm TOTALLY cursing deer hunting right now...
It's making my week H-E-Double hockey sticks!

Tracy said...

I am so glad Natey came through everything okay. And even with a smile on his face (although that face was a tad pale when I saw him).

I couldn't be a dentist either...that and a podiatrist (foot doctor). Blech!

I miss the kiddos when I just run an errand so I completely understand missing them. You'll have to keep yourself busy (like go out to eat with your friends) and hopefully the time will go quickly!

I hope all parents talk to their children about Veterans Day. It sure is an emotional day for us...GOOD JOB KER!

the boedecker family said...

I'm glad to hear he is doing well and all went ok!

Just Mom said...

That's some boy you got there, Kerrie.

Yeah. I'd miss my family, too.

Dawn said...

It sucks that you had to do all that work on his baby teeth, but if they were starting to hurt really bad it is understandable. I hope he is feeling better everyday. I am sure grandma will spoil him for you while they are gone. I would feel the same way you do with them being gone that long. I would be going nuts. Hope the next few days go by fast for you.

Tess said...

Glad Natey did well and it is overwith..
I would miss the family like crazy too!
Very neat story on Veteran's day.. It is awesome he is so interested! I wish every child was! It is so important.. I am so thankful for all our soldiers!

Heather said...

I hope your weekend goes by fast and your with your kids soon!