Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Test results

Yesterday I met my mom and step-dad in Sioux Falls to get her test results. I had no idea what to expect.

The answer - Dementia caused by MS.

My mom's MS is getting worse and that's what caused her memory problem. The good news is that she can get medicine that will help her MS. The bad news is that my mom's memory won't get better - it will only sustain. She'll always have 'this' memory.

Mom felt very relieved when she heard the news. She felt that not being able to remember things was her fault. Now she knows that it has nothing to do with her and everything to do with her disease.

We left the doctors office around 3ish yesterday afternoon. At 7pm she called to ask me if she had dementia - because she couldn't remember.

It's painful.

It's frustrating.

It makes me sad.

But, she's my Mom and it could be a hell of a lot worse.

Thank you all for praying for her and checking in on me yesterday (and the day before ;) ).

My dad and step-mom are coming today and will stay until Saturday. We're very excited.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving. Even with shitty MS taking over my mom's body, we have so much to be thankful for.

Peace.

7 comments:

Tracy said...

I am glad you were able to meet with the doctor and get the results earlier than planned.

LOVE YA!

Frazzled Farm Wife said...

Praying for you and your mom! Life deals out some pretty shitty deals to some people!

Hoping you have a great Thanksgiving....love your attitude about that, you really do have lots to be thankful for!

Amanda said...

I'm happy that you and your family have some answers to what is going on medically with your mom and that we have modern medicine to help sustain her memory. She’s been dealt a difficult hand indeed, but how wonderful that she has you to be at her side through this difficult time.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving Kerrie!

Amber said...

The day before?!?! What ever are you talking about?

Tess said...

Kerrie, my thoughts and prayers are with your entire family. This is going to be a tough journey, but remember you are not traveling it alone! Take care and try to enjoy your holiday weekend!!

Dawn said...

I will still pray for your family and hope that maybe with controlling the diease that maybe the dementia will get better too. Prayers your way.

Heather said...

I will continue to remember your mom in my prayers!