Thursday, December 13, 2007

Obese = Offensive

I had to go to the doctor yesterday. It's the kind of doctor that women don't like to go to. We'll call her 'Dr. Peek and Poke', shall we? (Shannon - I know you just said 'nice' out loud.)

I waited and waited for my appointment while thinking of the million other things that I needed to get done while I was in town. I kept looking at my watch thinking 'this is the last place I want to be and COME ON already'. I figured the doctor was with her patients that are pregnant and I remembered how I probably caused the same reaction a time or two.

Finally I got called back by the nurse. "Take off your shoes so we can get a height and weight." I said "Can't I just tell you? Do I really have to show you too?" The look on her face said "Yes - and shut it". I got on the scale and it was right where I thought it was going to be which is much better than 10 pounds more. I measured in at 5 foot 1 and 1/4 inch. That's right - 1/4 of an inch. She said it and I'm claiming it. I've earned it. Ok, so I've been that same height since High School. Mind your own business.


The nurse had me come to her little corner spot so she could ask me some questions. "It says here that your mother and father are still living. Has that changed?" I'm not positive how my dad has anything to do with Dr. Peek and Poke, but whatever. "It also says that your Grandparents are still alive. Has that changed?" Can you even imagine the look on my face? I assured her that everything was the same. The only thing different is my potassium issue.

While she was asking me what I thought were ridiculous questions, I noticed a chart that was right at my eye level (probably about 4'11", Justin, which I AM NOT....aren't these little outbursts making you feel better?). It showed a grid of weight and height. You know what I'm talking about. The one that makes you feel nothin' but great about yourself. But this chart was like none other than I'd seen. Not only does it call you fat, but it tells you just how fat you actually are. It calls you names. Here are your choices: overweight, obese, morbidly obese and.....crap! I can't remember the last one. Probably 'Hungry Hungry Hippo' but I can't remember for sure.

Anyway, as I'm sitting there looking at it wondering what my Grandparents have to do with my body, I follow the chart. I mean, it's really what they want you to do, right? I let out a bellar of a laugh. The skinny nurse sitting in front of me looked up from writing. I said "Hmmm, I guess I'm obese." She looked at me like "Well, if she shoe fits"....FOR REAL! She looked at me and kind of nodded. That cracked me up even more. I thought to myself "Little nurse girl - I might only be 5 foot 1 and 1/4 inches tall, but I'm fixin' to come out of this Hungry Hungry Hippo shell and beat the crap out of you - so shut it!" (Read that correctly Mother - I only thought it.) Not only did the chart call me obese, which, come on - I get tough love, but seriously...... Not only did the chart call me obese, but I was just a few points (or marks or something) away from being able to consult a doctor about weight loss surgeries. WhatTheHeck?

Finally I got to see the doctor and she went on and on about how wonderful I looked. She loved my brown hair. She loved my hair style (it's because it's cute). She thought I'd lost all this weight. Um, check with Nurse BuzzKill out front. She'll let you know that's not the case. I assured her that the only reason I look like I've lost weight is because she's seen me more times pregnant than not. For reals. It's true. I told her about the chart and that it called me obese. She laughed at me and told me not to pay attention to it. Easier said than done, that's for sure.


I guess it just adds fuel to my fire. I don't usually make New Years Resolutions, but this one has to be done. I don't enjoy this weight and I have no reason to not at least try to part with it. I know I have a busy life with a busy family, but 45 minutes on a treadmill isn't going to kill me. Who knows, maybe next year I'll only be overweight. We all have to have goals you know. ;)

20 comments:

Just Mom said...

"Hungry, Hungry Hippo"


BAH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA *snort*HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA


I'll never be able to keep a straight face again when I go in for my checkups.

Jamey said...

You are not obese, even I can tell that just from pictures..you look great! Those charts suck and were obviously made by an overly skinny man who never puts on a pound no matter what he eats.

Anonymous said...

Just gotta love it! I have a very overweight Dr. I go to her because I always feel good about myself when I see her. She never rags on my weight.

I agree with Jamey, that chart was not made by a woman who had to take her shoes off and climb on that stinkin' scale!

Who knew that you were (dare I say) short! I always thought Tracy was really tall. Now I find out that you are just a peanut. How funny the way we visualize one another.

Kari said...

When I was pregnant with Onna, I was on WIC. I had to go in for nutrition counselling, after they weighed me and told me I was gaining too much. (I started off at 130 pounds and gained around 40 overall.) Anyway the lady that did the counselling was nearly 300 pounds! It was such a joke. I wanted to scream at her every time I did it, like YOU are telling ME how to eat. Seriously!

Amber said...

Ginger: "...you are just a peanut." That made me almost pee my pant.

Ah, the dreaded charts. I always ask if there is another chart for "big boned" women!

Heidi Jo Comes said...

kerrie, i absolutely hate to laugh if in any way you really were offended by this...but probably about 15 times while reading this thing i laughed out loud. and the 'hungry, hungry hippo' comment...oh.my.lord. where is your stand-up show? seriously!

those charts are insane. and i'm not just saying that to make you or anyone feel better. i used one to determine my 'goal' weight- and then we were going to figure out chads....so we were looking for the 'male' portion of the chart- there wasn't one. men/women same same. HOWFRICKINSTUPIDISTHAT?

yeah, i'd love to have a hunk-a-hunk of 156 pound husband holding me tight at night. get real!

who DOESN'T need to lose some weight, or at least have it re-positioned into the places it should be but has fallen and never gotten back up to?

i just try to remember that plump and jolly is in this season:0)

Tracy said...

Ginger...I AM TALL!! HA! Just kidding. Kerrie is a peanut. And boy do we LOOOOVVVEEE peanuts!

Ker...you have lost weight before. You know what it takes and have been very successful. I personally DO think you look good. For goodness sakes, you gave birth to THREE children. You go girl!

You can come over and do my elliptical. God knows someone needs to use it!!! HA! And we can chat at the same time. That has to burn more calories! Talking that is...

Tess said...

Ok, I am still laughing at, "I'm fixin' to come out of this Hungry Hungry Hippo shell and beat the crap out of you!" I soooo can relate! I read that same lovely chart last time and it said the same thing about me! Sorry, being
5' tall (yes - 5'0) just doesn't give me much of a chance to distribute! haa.. Piss on those charts, I could stand to exercise of course, but I don't think those charts help motivate!!

A mom said...

I am glad I did not see my chart while I was there. I would have probably jumped from the window.

Congrats on being 5'1" 1/4. I am 5'4" 1/2. :O)

You have lost some weight and I think you look great. If you want to loose more, go for it. Good luck to ya. PS~ I lost 4 lbs last week! Yeah me!

Jamie said...

Gotta love those charts and those NURSES..sorry if anyone is a nurse but SOME of them really have the great quality of making us feel like crap.

I think you like you great. :)

Anonymous said...

I am allergic to scales :)
I hate to get weighed at the dr.
Susan

Amanda said...

HAHAAH - there was so many funny comment in that...I'm still cracking up!

You're hot stuff...remember that and shake your hips girlfriend!

Frazzled Farm Wife said...

I loved your story...you crack me up! I love that you don't hold anything back....reminds me of somebody...oh yeah me...just ask my friends!

Cari said...

You look great!! I can tell that just from your photos and video blogs!

The last time I went to the doctor (about a year ago), I had just lost about 25 pounds and was feeling pretty great about myself....and then I saw "the chart". That ?%*@! thing had the nerve to say that I was still "overweight"! I've never wanted to rip something off of a wall so badly in my life! :-S

You are beautiful, Kerrie. If you WANT to exercise and lose a few pounds to make YOU feel better, then I know you can do it. Tracy's idea about the eliptical sounds fun - I do that too, and I really feel good after a workout!

Andrea said...

Loved the Hungry Hippo comment! You are too funny!

Well, for your sake, I'm hoping you get down to "only" being "overweight"! Those stupid charts! Don't worry about them! You look GREAT Kerrie!

I'm sure I'm probably considered overweight but I'd rather not know! I really want to buy an elliptical machine because I don't like going to the gym...

Good luck on your New Year's Resolution - IF that's what you really want to do.

the boedecker family said...

OMG have I told you that you are hilarious and always good for a laugh! Dr. Peek and Poke?!!
Now I don't think you are obese, if you don't look like Barbie they classify you that way! I have been obese all my life and you know what that is just fine!!

Jennie Thompson said...

F the chart. I think you look fabulous darling.

Teresa said...

Can I just say H*I*L*A*R*I*O*U*S?! Your story is one that we all have experienced. Those young, skinny nurses can be so annoying. I just wish I could be there at their appt. 10 years from now after birthing 3 children!

What is sad is the women that actually live by those ridiculous charts.

I'm going to eat some chocolate.

Anonymous said...

I did not see what you weighed in yout blog. Come on don't be shy. Just kidding. I would never put that down either. But, YOU ARE NOT OBESE. IF YOU ARE THEN WHAT THE HELL AM I!!!!!

Loni

Nicole said...

Have I told you lately how much you totally crack me up?!?!? ROFL!!! HA! Since I am pregnant, I should tell you how much I weigh right now. That should make you feel better! BUT I'm not gonna!! :-)