Monday, April 14, 2008

Ode to prom

The year - 1992
My date - a friend named Brian
Photo taken - in the back room of Taco Johns
Dress - borrowed
Hair done - BY ME

Welcome to my senior prom. My friend, Brian, and I each had significant others who were underclassman. In our town, if you weren't a junior or senior, then you weren't allowed to go to prom. You could bring someone older than you (ie: graduate), but not someone younger.

Brian was a shy young man, sweet, and funny. He tried for almost a solid week to get up enough nerve to ask me to prom. He and I were different from each other. He was more reserved and I, well, wasn't. I think I was the kind of girl that his mother warned him about.

Finally, he asked me to prom and I was so excited to go with him. The year before, I'd gone with the guy that I'd been dating since I was a freshman. While he and I had a good time, I knew that Brian and I would have fun because there was no pressure. No pressure because I didn't have to stay by his side - he'd want to be with his friends while I would hang out with mine. I was right. We had a blast.

Times have sure changed. The most stressful thing when I was going to prom(s) was probably the dress and shoes. I tanned for my senior prom - the first time in my life. None of my friends went to a salon to get their hair done. None of my friends went to a salon to get artificial nails. None of my friends went to a salon to get pedicures.

For the past two weekends, I've worked from 9am until 5pm doing prom hair. I detest prom hair. I don't feel that I'm very good at it and I feel very much out of my comfort zone doing it. From time to time I can get it right, but it doesn't happen all that often for me. I plan to take a class at some point so that I'm better next year. But for now I'm just glad it's over.

Sixteen years is a long time. In those sixteen years a lot of change has occurred. Girls today glam themselves up like movie stars. Someone this week said 'I'm going to Grand March - although you'd never know it. The way girls look today you might just think you were watching the red carpet.' It's so true.

I can only imagine what prom will be like when Claire gets there. Actually, I can't. I haven't a clue. I can only hope that really full bulky dresses are back in style. If they continue in the fashion that they are now, skimpier and skimpier, she'll probably wear a thong.

Oh! Say it ain't so!!!

So long prom. I'm so glad to see you go!

14 comments:

Amber said...

Honestly, a lot of the dresses reminded me of 80 and early 90's dresses! Your dress that you're wearing would have fit right in.

Tracy said...

OH, the days of Prom. Yours sounded very familiar to my own. I never went to a salon to do any of the things girls do today. I am pretty sure I didn't even tan. Dresses were borrowed. Who can afford the dresses?? Geesh!

Anyway...glad Prom is over. Your Saturdays have sure been busy and YOU HAVEN'T BEEN EATING.

Oh, did I say that??

Now schedule yourself a lunch break.




Because I said.



:)

Anonymous said...

You are so funny but, it is true. I love the dress you have on. I hope it does not get to the thong thing!!!!

Loni

Cari said...

I love that picture of you guys!! I've seen it before, but I didn't know until now that it was taken at Taco Johns - funny! Brian was such a shy little cutie pie. I always had a tiny little crush on him, but I was pretty sure that my personality would have been a bit too....much (yeah, much) for him!

I remember getting my tan from a bottle (Crystal D. and I came up with that little scheme together), and I also remember doing my own hair, make-up, and nails. It would have never occured to me to do it any other way. Times sure have changed!

Andrea said...

I would think you'd be GREAT at prom hair!

Amber said...

This has had be perplexed! You guys really borrowed dresses, did your own hair, nails, etc?
My first prom was in 1996, I was a sophomore in high school.
I got a new dress, had my hair done, nails, tanned, etc. As did all of my friends...as did most of the people I knew.
So I’m thinking..."the norm" must change from town to town.
Sometimes I think that the norm in my town, is everybody’s norm.

Frazzled Farm Wife said...

The woman that did Courtney's hair for prom said she was already getting tired of updo's too!

Prom sure has changed.....and costs alot more these days too!!!!!

Just Mom said...

You're a brave woman, posting your prom photo. Of course, your prom was in the early 90s. Mine was in the mid-80s. Oh what funny photos those would be, huh? Too bad I *ahem* misplaced them.

Kristie said...

I wonder if my prom picture even exist anymore. I love your prom pic and in your defense you did a fantastic job on Jalisas hair for Prom!!!!!!! She looked beautiful cant wait for you to do it next year for her!!!!

Jamie said...

Look at you two hotties!!! Love the picture...brought back some good old memories!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad those days are over for my girls. I hated all of it! They never had steady dates and that always made thing awkward.

Now we just look forward to wedding gowns and bridesmaid dresses. It's kind of the same with the hair and the nails, but so much more fun for me.

Teresa said...

I did go to a salon and do a little tanning, but the rest was up to me. No one had fake fingernails or got pedicures. Borrowing dresses was not out of the question, and all styles were different, but none too skimpy.
Today's styles can definitely be considered too risky for my taste.

A mom said...

My first prom was in '93. Everyone did get their hair done, but not much else. Only a very few vain girls would tan. Getting nails done and pedicures, what the heck was that? My how times have changed.

Tess said...

Oh my gosh, what memories! Prom, good ole prom..
We ended up getting a limo my senior year and everything. It was fun. Seems like it is a bit different these days.. More hype.