Thursday, February 14, 2008

Blah

I'm totally over winter. Seriously. I'm over it. When will the sun shine? WHEN? I'm over you, winter. Go away!

I have sick kids. I'm about to talk about vomit. You've been warned.


On Saturday night Claire got sick in her bed. Justin and I were up late and didn't go to bed until 1:30. I've had a lot on my mind and I needed to get it worked out. After going to bed late (did I say late?), Justin woke me up an hour and a half later asking me to clean up Claire while he changed her bedding. Ick! Just what I wanted to do. Ish!

Then Monday night Jack threw up in his bed. This time I woke up Justin and asked him to clean up Jack's bedding while I took care of Jack. Natey came down in all the commotion only to discover his 101 degree temp. He had goosebumps a mile high. Freakin' fantastic! I got Natey some Motrin and put him back to bed. I held Jack while Justin got his bed put back together. Fun stuff.

Justin stayed home Tuesday with Jack and Claire. Jack had a temp which obviously means no daycare. Then yesterday at breakfast, Claire threw up out of the blue. I'd already made an appointment to take Jack to a doctor here in town (HUGE MISTAKE - keep reading) and planned to take Claire to daycare early. Well, she obviously couldn't go to daycare after throwing up. I put her in the tub, called Justin to see if he could come home, and ended up taking Jack to the doctor.

I had no idea how smart the doctor was. How lucky for me. (I wish you could see my face. Belch.) I knew Jack wasn't well. He was panting and his heart was racing. The doctor - without a blood sample - told me that Jack has Para Flu and/or RSV. Hmmm - all that without a blood sample? I told him that Jack had the same thing last year at this exact time and was in the hospital for a week. The doctor said that he didn't need to be in the hospital 'just yet'. He looked in Jack's ears and said 'they are pink, but not bubbling'. Bubbling? Bubbling? What in the heck does that mean? Bubbling? Ick!

Whatever.

He gave us a prescription for his non bubbling ears and sent us on our way. I had no idea that RSV could be diagnosed without a blood test. Lucky us.

Hopefully he does better today. Our daycare provider said he could go back to daycare today. Actually, she probably would have accepted him either day, but I didn't want them to go. I just want my sick kids to feel better.

That's all.

Oh yeah, Happy Valentine's Day.

12 comments:

Jennie Thompson said...

Some of these Madison doctors have psychic powers, don't cha know?!

We went through all of that junk with the last few weeks. Knock on wood, healthy now but I, too am ready for it to be May!

Jamey said...

Sorry you have sick kids. That is not fun for you or them! I hope they feel better soon. I am SO sick of winter too. It needs to be over already!!

Heidi Jo Comes said...

"all you need is love...."

oh what the heck am i saying, all YOU need is a vacation and healthy kiddos!

so sorry about it kerrie. we've been dealing with it here too, but i think (knocking on wood) that we are finally in the clear.

sorry also that dr. psychic let me go in front of you even though you'd been waiting longer. had i known, really, i would have turned him away. maybe the few extra minutes would have cleared his mind and he would have GIVEN US THE DAMN PRESCRIPTION we needed!

Amber said...

Wow...and that's Experiencing life Kerrie Meyer style! ;o)

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear this Kerrie. It always seems if you have one kid you are going to have all of them at one time or another get it. Them seem to pass it around lets just hope you and Justin don't get it. Take Care maybe see you next weekend Love MOM Karen

Lori said...

Sorry to hear you all have the sickies at your home. Hopefully everyone feels better soon.

Frazzled Farm Wife said...

I hate it when little ones are sick! Poor things!

Happy Valentine's Day....may it be a day without vomit for you to clean up!!!

Tracy said...

Tell those kiddos to keep the sickies away because they are coming to THEIR TRACY'S HOUSE tomorrow.


And I don't want it back...


~sigh~

the boedecker family said...

I'm sorry to hear the kids are so sick!

As far as the Madison doctors, well I used to back them 100% and have worked at this hospital and doctored here all my life...this last year has changed my mind and made me angry in so many ways! I will only see about 2 or 3 people here and have seriously considered going to SF many times!! Isn't that sad...drive and hour for a doc?!

Anonymous said...

Sorry for your misery. Been there and done that, sure wouldn't wish it on anyone.

If you get sick I will come and hold your hair back when you vomit :o)

Dawn said...

I know your feeling on sick kids. Mine was sick last week with pneumonia and RSV. Which she had a year prior to the day. To tell if she had RSV they did a sputum test. They told us blood work wouldn't show that cause it is viral. But I understand your frustration with doctors, that is why I will only take my daughter to the clinic in SF or the ER. I don't mess with our town docs. Hope they get to feeling better fast. It sucks when they are so helpless and miserable.

Tess said...

No comment on the doctors. If I don't have anything nice to say, I will say nothing at all! LOL

I hope everyone is feeling better. Being sick is no fun!!