Monday, July 07, 2008

It was. . . .beautiful

For the first time in a very long, long time, Keith Urban isn't pictured on my desktop background. Let me show you what is:
Only one guess who that is. Of coarse - it's my dad. He and my step-mom arrived about 8:30 on Thursday night. Nathan couldn't stand waiting for him.

Nathan sat by the door and said "I think this is him!" - then seconds later "maybe not" as the vehicle drove past. Finally when my Dad and Cora arrived, tears came to my eyes as Dad parked on the wrong side of the street so that he could rush out of his pick up to greet his grandchildren.

The kids ran to him as if they'd known them all their lives. My dad did the same - as did my step-mom.

Earlier in the week, as I discussed over and over with my clients what I'd be doing for the 4th, people would say 'how do you feel about not seeing your dad for 5 years?'. It was a really good question. I felt so many emotions wrapped into one; happy, excited, nervous and angry.

I was SO happy that he was finally going to meet Claire and Jack.
I was SO excited that he would be reunited with Nathan, Justin and myself.
I was SO nervous because I wasn't sure how everything would go.
I was a little angry that it had been 5 years since I'd seen him last. As a result, he'd never met Claire or Jack.

The anger quickly melted away when I saw the greetings of two people who'd never met - and the obvious love oozing all over the place.

About 45 minutes later, my sister and her family arrived.

Her family was greeted in the same manner. That too brought tears to my eyes.

We picked up where we left off, all of us, and continued on like we'd seen each other last week.

We laughed. A LOT!

Dad told stories about us when we were little. It seems to be one of his favorite things to do.

I have a ton of pictures to show you. Tune in tomorrow for more.

For now, I need to take in all the love that I felt. It was - beautiful.

12 comments:

Heidi Jo Comes said...

kerrie, i got tears in my eyes just reading about it. that first picture of you and your dad is beautiful. what an example of love to your children to have a family that doesn't operate in bitterness, but enjoys every moment given.

so very happy for you.

Amanda said...

You look beautiful in the picture Miss Kerrie! I had tears in my eyes while reading that post, hearing about Nathan's excitement, and I'm so happy that you were able to spend the time with your father!!!

What a wonderful way to spend the 4th!!!

Anonymous said...

That sounds wonderful - you brought tears to my eyes as well! I can't wait to see more pictures tomorrow.... :-D

Amber said...

Like everyone has said: You look so beautiful in the first picture!

What I couldn't believe about your dad is that he's SO TALL! I kept staring at him because I couldn't believe that he was SO TALL!

Those genes, I think, skipped right over you! ;o)

I'm excited to catch up with you and hear all about your weekend on Wednesday.

Amanda said...

Hey....did you hear....baby Urban is here!

Kari said...

Kerrie, I happy that things went well for you and your family. I can't wait to see more pictures.

the boedecker family said...

AWESOME!!! I'm so happy for you and your family! Great pictures of your girls with your Dad!!

Dawn said...

Just like everyone said tears in eyes when reading about your exciting wait and first moments of reuniting. And like everyone else said that is an awesome pic of you and your dad. You look beautiful in it, and sooooo happy. I am glad you had a wonderful holiday weekend.

Just Mom said...

We saw you guys playing with some sparklers on the Fourth when we passed your house. You all looked incredibly happy.

Tracy said...

Happiness and PURE joy is what I feel as you share this wonderful time with us. I thought of you NON STOP all weekend while you were with your dad.

Love ya!!!

Lori said...

Sounds like you are having a wonderful time Kerrie. So happy for you.

Tess said...

That is awesome Kerrie! I am so happy it was a joyous occassion! You made me cry, but it was happy tears. Can't wait to see the pictures!!