Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Well hello, Michael

Um...(blushing)...did anyone else see this? I think we should all stand up and say hello to Michael. =o) HA!


I didn't follow him in Athens - or ever for that matter. I love the cell phone commercial where the girl has her room decked out in Phelps gear. That's a great commercial. Very cute. It's how I would imagine my living room if I were single - only Keith Urban would be the theme.


I'm in awe of this man. I mean, I'm a bit in awe of that picture, but not exactly what I was talking about here. Focus Kerrie! I'm in awe that he's 23 years old and has made Olympic history.


I'm sure many of you saw the same interview that I saw with his mother, but I love when I hear stories about someone who was picked on in school, raised by a single mother, has ADHD - and is now an 8 time winner of Olympic Gold. Doesn't that just make you want to stand up for Michael Phelps?


I love to watch swimming. Have you ever done lap swim at your pool? It must have been after Athens that I started going to lap swim at our pool when I realized what they make look so easy isn't easy at all. Well first things first. I can't do the butterfly, but I can do the doggie paddle. I'm really good at that one. I just can't believe how awesome these athletes are.


I can't remember who I was talking to, but I was wondering how they make money. If they are always training for the next games, how on earth do they make money? The obviously don't swim all day and work at HyVee that night. Thanks to CNN - I got my answer. Endorsements! They said that Mr. Phelps will probably match, if not succeed, Tiger in endorsements after winning all that bling.


Did you see that Michael said that he doesn't forget the people that flicked his ears and that teased him in high school? Now they want to write all over his Facebook taking credit that they went to the same high school when these people never spoke to him. GO MICHAEL!


Now that he's done swimming, my DVR isn't working near as hard. I watch here and there, but those 8 golds were a ton of fun to watch. Congratulations Michael Phelps!

9 comments:

Tracy said...

You and I talked about Michael Phelps the other night. He is definately A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.

It's something to be very proud of. I enjoyed watching his mother and sisters in the stands. Brought tears to my eyes every time!!

Shannon said...

Since I'm the sister, I feel it's my job to correct... I mean add to your story. ;o)

It's true, 8 medals is a feat, but 8 GOLD medals? Holy Schlamoly! AND, that's just in the Bejing games. Not only has he broken the record in all time gold medals in one olympics, he now has 16 medals...14 OF THEM GOLD.

Yeah, he's a stud!

Heidi Jo Comes said...

you mean all that water behind him doesn't freak you out kerrie? oh wait, i agree who notices the water in that picture? HOLY SMOLY!

oh wait, i see shannon already used a version of that term...

anyway, he makes it easy to be patriotic doesn't he? who wouldn't be proud to be an American with that man representing us?

Shannon said...

Oops, I meant Beijing. And is it just me, or does it look like he has his hand in his butt? I only ask because it seems as if I'm constantly saying to my kids, "hey, get your hand out of your butt!!".

It's probably just me. :)

sarah said...

I used to be a competitive swimmer (but nowhere NEAR their level) so watching the swimming is always a trip down memory lane for me. And yeah, MP is AMAZING. He not only got 8 gold this year, but set 7 world records in 8 attempts. The only "iffy" race was that 50 fly. His coach said he was going to try different events for 2012, so that'll be really fun to watch!!
And as for endorsements, MP gets 1 million from Speedo because of these 8 gold, as well as 50 grand per gold from the American Olympic committee....not to mention all his other endorsements. HOLY COW. Alot of hard work went into those medals though - I heard that for the first seven years of his training he swam every.single.day, 365 days a year. Can you imagine being that dedicated?!!!

(obviously I have some sort of MP fever, sorry!)

sarah said...

ooops, maybe I should do some research before I open my mouth. Gold medal winners get only 25k from the USOC, silver 15k and bronze 10k. Sorry!

Frazzled Farm Wife said...

I loved watching him too and I didn't even know about his background, I missed that interview. I already thought he was amazing but now I think he is even more AMAZING.....go Michael!

Anonymous said...

I love watching MP also. And I do have a crush on the bod. My girls all did swim, but only Hannah is hanging in there and doing a pretty good job. We joked with her that we need speedo to sponser her. I wish I as a parent could be so dedicated to have her in the water every day. Right now as a 9 year old though she swims about 8 hrs a week just for swim team and several other hrs for fun. Unfortunately she struggles with the fly though and that is MP's fav.
-Heather

Tess said...

I can honestly say that I was obsessed with watching his events this year. I just had a feeling he was going to go 8 for 8! And he did!! Amazing!!
I really really like the stories they have done on his mother. I saw her on the news the other night and they asked her why she continues to be a principal when she doesn't have too. She said, I could say it is my profession, but it is my passion! How awesome!!

They are both true roll models!