Monday, September 15, 2008

Always willing to 'help'

Each night after getting the kids home and settled, I look through book bags to see if there is anything that needs to be done. I don't expect homework in the 1st grade, but you just never know.

The other night I looked in Nathan's folder and found some worksheets. I pulled them out and found something interesting.

When Nathan writes his name, it takes up about half the sheet of paper. It ends up looking something like this: N a t h a n.


Mrs. Graff has tried to show him that there is too much space between the letters by putting a red squiggly line between the acre of room that he's left between each letter.

Here is what I found in his folder.

I said "Natey, Mrs. Graff doesn't understand what you've done here" as I pointed to the question mark. Without even thinking he said "Oh! I was helping Mrs. Graff. I noticed that my letters were pretty far apart, so I put the line in there for her."

For reals.

I laughed so hard I had tears.

Finally, after composing myself, I said "Well, next time, why don't you just erase the letters and put them closer together and not use the line that Mrs. Graff does."

Come on people - he was only trying to help.

PS: If you look close, you can see that he actually erased the line and redrew it. That's dedication y'all.

12 comments:

Amanda said...

HA – that is good! What a helpful young man! I wonder if his initial reaction was “really, why do I need to help her – isn’t she the teacher”.

I’m sure Mrs. Graff appreciated that! Mrs. Graff probably really got a big kick out of that and it probably made Mrs. Graff’s day

Tracy said...

When you showed me that the other night...I thought...OF COURSE he was helping. That's Nathan. Making sure Mrs. Graff knew what was up.

Even if she didn't appreciate it.

:)

Tess said...

Oh my gosh, that is hilarious!! I hope that Mrs. Graff has a sense of humor! LOL.. That is great! One for the memory bank!

Amber said...

Natey = a helpful little guy!

Frazzled Farm Wife said...

What a helper! She probably got a kick out of it too!

Heather said...

How adorable! That is one for his scrapbook!

Jamie said...

I saw that he erased that line...he had to get it just right!!

Heidi Jo Comes said...

i have meant to comment on this since you posted it... anyway, you have such a special young man. i don't base that analysis on just this story alone, but on many you've shared about him.

he has to warm his teacher's heart.

Just Mom said...

LOL.

Julie said...

That is the funniest thing I've ever seen! You'll have to keep that and put that in his scrapbook. Don't forget to share that with his teacher! We all need a good chuckle now and then!

Andrea said...

That is HILARIOUS!!!

So did you write a note and send it back to Mrs Graff to let her know? I'm sure she'd get a kick out of it, too!

What a helpful boy!

A mom said...

That is too much!