Sunday, June 17, 2007

Father's Day

I think Father's Day gets a bad wrap. Nobody seems to make a very big deal about it. It is a big deal. It's interesting to me to see how much the fathers role has changed in the family over the years. In the day of my Grandfather, you'd never hear of a stay at home dad. Although I don't think I'd go as far as to say that it's common today, but it's much more common today as compared to some 20 years ago.

The father role has evolved over the years. When I was dating, I knew exactly what I didn't want in a husband. I wasn't looking at men thinking of what kind of fathers they might be because I wasn't sure if I wanted to have kids. Then came Justin. The more serious our relationship was the more I knew I wanted to have kids with him. I knew he'd be a good dad and he is.

I know there are many women who wouldn't dream of leaving their newborn home with their new daddy because that new dad 1) isn't willing or 2) is scared to death. When I went back to work after Nathan was born, I agreed to work weekends. That was 5 years ago. Justin has always kept the kids on the weekends - all by himself. He's a very hands on dad - which I love. I don't have to worry about getting a phone call from Justin in a panic because he doesn't know what to do with one of the kids. It's a wonderful feeling knowing that my kids have a great dad.


Happy Father's Day. I love you.

6 comments:

Jamie said...

Sounds like Justin is a great dad. I hope you guys had a great Father's Day weekend!!

Tracy said...

Happy Father's Day Justin...I guess you are an okay dad!! Totally kidding! You're GRRREEEAATTT! (said like Tony the Tiger)

Just Mom said...

A Belated Happy Father's Day to Justin.

the boedecker family said...

Good post Kerrie and very well said!! Happy Father's Day Justin!!

Heidi Jo Comes said...

if mother's are the heart of the family, then dad's are the backbone. i know we couldn't make it without the support of ours.

you guys are a great team.

Kari said...

It's easy to take people that we care about for granted. It's nice to see you pay tribute to such an important member of your family. Happy Father's Day Justin!