Friday, June 01, 2007

I'm all about the experiment

I'm really not ok with not being able to have dairy. I miss the foods that I can't have. So, desperate times call for desperate measures. Right?

The other day I picked up some Lactaid. The directions say to take one pill with the first bite of dairy. Last night I decided to put it to the test. I made lasagna. I couldn't wait to get it out of the oven. I'd been craving it for quite some time. A true test for sure.

I sat down to my plate steaming with yummy dairy filled lasagna. I popped the pill and dug in. I waited for it - the stomachache - but didn't get it. Success! Wait. Wait. I don't feel so great. I looked over at Justin and said "I feel nauseous". Natey was quick to correct me "Mom, the word isn't nauseous it's Obnauseous". Thanks Natey (giggle). I explained to him that I was saying a different word and thanked him for the help. I didn't get the normal stomach problems that I'd gotten in the past, but I'm not sure feeling sick for an hour or so was worth it.

Yesterday was a big day for Nathan. He had his first t-ball practice which he LOVED. Justin also took him to kindergarten readiness. They were there for about an hour and fifteen minutes. Nathan had a great time answering questions and showing off what he knew. Everything was going well until the nurse looked in his ears. He freaked out a bit. They asked Justin if Natey had problems with ear infections. Justin said no but knew exactly what the problem was. Nathan hates it when Dr. Henry 'chokes' him with the tongue dispenser. Justin said something to the effect of 'Were you afraid they were going to look in your throat next?' That, indeed, was the problem. I busted out laughing when Justin told me that. Right when he told me that Nathan didn't like the nurse looking in his ear I knew what the deal was. The good news is that they said that Nathan is very much ready for kindergarten. The better news is that Nathan is excited to GO to kindergarten!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kindergarten...wow! Unfortunately, I don't have many memories of kindergarten...mostly, I remember the times kids puked in class. Weird, huh? I could even tell you who they were! I think I remember learning to tie my shoes as well...not quite sure about that. I hope Natey has a great time...and remembers more pleasurable moments from kindergarten!!

Heidi Jo Comes said...

have you always been lactose intolerant...or did that develop with your pregnancy?

liv did her screening today too, and since they didn't have an ornery litnus test she passed too.

Jamie said...

Man, there are a lot of us with kindergarteners on our hands....I can't for 10 years from now when we all have teenagers....we will have some interesting blogs then!!

Anonymous said...

Way to go Nathan! I knew you wouldn't have a problem.
Kerrie, I hope you can eventually eat some dairy without the stomach problems.
Can't wait to watch some t-ball games.
Susan

Shannon said...

Good Job, Natey! I'm so proud of you!!! Evie can't wait until she goes to "Jessie's school". Jessie is our daycare lady's 10 year old, whom Evie ADORES...and vice versa.

Just Mom said...

Congratulations, Natey, on passing your kindergarten readiness "test."

"Obnauseous." That's pretty funny. Sorry that the Lactaid didn't help much, Kerrie.

Tracy said...

I am sorry the Lactaid didn't work!! I know how much you wanted lasagna!!!

A mom said...

That is a huge bummer. May be something else will work. I hate to see you missing out on such good stuff!

So Natey is ready for kindergarten, but is mom?