Saturday, May 05, 2007

Your weekend is not my weekend

When I got pregnant with Nathan, I was dispatching full time working a very strange 12 hour shift rotation. I was also doing hair part time at a salon here in town. I don't know how I did it, but most work weeks were 64 hours long. There is no way I could do it today. My 12 hour shifts were from midnight to noon. It was horrible. Not only does a 'normal' person tire working those hours, but add pregnancy to that and things get interesting.

I'd tried and tried to figure out a schedule that would be more appealing and pitch them to my boss. I was turned down schedule after schedule. One day when I was in the shower it finally hit me. I could work weekends and go down to a 32 hour work week. That way I could work 8-4 and be able to spend more time with the new baby. Great! I pitched it to my boss and got the green light. Awesome!


I was so much fun working 4 days and having 3 off. My days off felt like a mini vacation. I would work Thurs-Sun and have Mon-Wed off. That lasted for probably 4 years. Then when I got pregnant with Jack I decided that I needed to try to pick up another shift. It was then that I started adding an overnight to the mix. I used to do my overnight on Wednesday, but Justin works until 8pm and there were days I wouldn't even get 3 hours before coming to work. That was too hard for me. My co-worker, Miah, got pregnant and wanted to go down to 32 hours a week, so I piked up her extra day. It works out for me.

The only bad thing about my schedule is that my weekend isn't the 'normal' persons weekend. None of the rest of my family members have the same days off that I do, so going to visit anyone is a bit of a chore. I either have to finagle my schedule around or take vacation which isn't always easy. Don't get me wrong, life could be worse. I'm just sayin'......

8 comments:

Lori said...

I can relate to that too Kerrie.

I like being able to work when my husband is at home with the kids.
I too work on weekends. Which is sometimes disappointing as I'm gone when Al and the kids are home.

Kari said...

I've worked all kinds of crazy schedules so I know exactly what you are talking about.

It is hard, but it's good to know that you are doing what is best for you and your family.

~ Amy ~ said...

I don't know how you do it - but I admire you for doing it. Being a SAHM I've gotten so spoiled and practically start to hyperventilate (sp?) at the thought of having a job that requires me to punch-in at certain hours. Hats off to you!!

Jamie said...

I feel for you! I bet it is very hard for you to plan things! I remember working weekends when I was at a bank. It gets hard sometimse.

Anonymous said...

Why do you think my wedding was on a Wednesday?? My days off at that time were also Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, so to limit the amount of vacation I had to take, we decided on the Wednesday...not to mention that the date (4/2) had significance...42 being my lucky number!! But boy did we get all kinds of "feedback" from family and friends about picking a Wednesday. Sorry to inconvenience them when it was MY wedding!!

Thanks for letting me vent for a moment. :-)

Heidi Jo Comes said...

i think the wednesday wedding is a great idea! how uniquely aggrevating to all of the annoying in-laws anyway:-) way to start off that marriage by asserting your authority! (sorry kerrie, just a note to holly-whom i don't even know)

for you kerrie, i think you are amazing for being able to pull it off and do what you have to do for your fam. kudos to you-

A mom said...

I know what you mean about the odd hours. I wish Al and didn't have to work opposite days, but it works out best that way. I also think you are the greatest person in the world for picking up one of my days. I often think of you on Sundays and feel guilty. I have to remind myself that you are a big girl, and if you couldn't handle it, you would say so.

Kerrie Rocks people!

Just Mom said...

You have got STAMINA, woman!