Friday, April 27, 2007

Dr. Henry broke me

That phrase drives Justin crazy. I've been saying it for weeks now. If you'll remember, Dr. Henry (Jack's pediatrician) took me off dairy for as long as I choose to nurse Jack. That was 2 1/2 months ago. It seems longer to me, but I posted about it on Feb. 15th, so I guess not.

The hardest thing for me to give up was chocolate. I had to give that up as well. I haven't had chocolate for almost 4 months. I was doing really well not eating anything dairy until Easter. It was a few days before Easter I guess, but the kids had some M&M's and I ate one. I didn't like it. You read that right, I didn't like it. It tasted bitter and yucky. WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON? The only thing I can figure is that Dr. Henry broke me. :)


On Easter I decided to eat a bit of dairy. I ate mashed potatoes, a little cheese, and this cool whip salad stuff I made. After I got done eating I felt like crap. I felt nauseous and sluggish. It wasn't long before I got a stomachache. Maybe I shouldn't have dairy either. A very large 'ah-ha' moment.

Not long after Nathan was born I had to have my gallbladder taken out. Not long after that I would have horrible stomachaches and then to follow 'stomach problems'. I'm obviously not going to go into that, but I think maybe dairy was the problem all along. I haven't had those kinds of problems AT ALL since taking dairy out of my diet. The only time I do is when I've had something with dairy in it. Ah-ha, right? Right!

Making meals are a bit harder now that I can't eat all the things that I had in the past, but I feel much better. I'm still able to eat some of the crap food that I've come to love. If I want ice cream then I have to have sorbet. I'd much rather have a blizzard, but having sorbet is better than nothing at all.

Oh, I almost forgot this. The kids got a Dove chocolate bunny in their Easter basket this year. Dove is my favorite kind of chocolate. Anyway, I was making supper one night and Claire came in the kitchen with this bunny partially unwrapped and wanted me to help her with the rest. I took the bunny from her and told her she couldn't eat it until after supper. She, of coarse, threw a fit and left the room. When she was gone I took a bite of the bunny. Again, yuck. YUCK PEOPLE? What on earth has happened to me? I'm broken, BROKEN I tell you.


Remember Claire's cake for her birthday? I ate some of that and it was chocolate. It was very good, but gave me one heck of a stomachache. Did I say broken? Good. Just checking. :)

8 comments:

Tracy said...

You make me laugh! Yes, Dr. Henry broke you! But at least now you know. I wish someone would tell me I was allergic to FAT! HA! No, actually that wouldn't be possible...I KNOW, I KNOW! (sigh)

Lori said...

Wow! You must be allergic or something; if you get a stomach ache that quick.

Just Mom said...

You are an amazing woman, Kerrie. Going without anything dairy would be very tough for me.

About the chocolate thing... I still like chocolate, but since giving it up for Lent I've noticed it does taste different from what I remember. I don't crave chocolate now as much as I used to -- which, believe me, is a good thing.

Brandi said...

I have to agree with you Kerrie. I use to drink milk like it was water...and use to love ice cream. Now, I get sick when I drink or eat that stuff. I as well, have cut alot of dairy out of my diet because I feel gross and sick after I eat it. I worry about it a little and wonder if I should be taking a calcium pill to keep my bones strong. I'm still young, but calcium is an important part of your body as you get older so your bones don't start disintegrating (sp).

Jamie said...

Wow you are broken!

I hear ya Tracy...do you think if we quit eating fried foods then we will hate them when we try them again! Probably not!

Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

Don't hate me ... but I do not like chocolate. The only time I eat chocolate is when I'm pregnant ... which seems to be most of the time ... but that's beside the point.

My downfall is beer. LOL! I can't be without THAT. However, when I'm pregnant and liking chocolate, I HATE beer. hmmmm ... funny how that happens.

Anyway ... I don't know how you could do without dairy. You are a good woman. I LIVE on dairy. Dairy and red meat. Wait ... dairy, red meat ... and beer. :)

LOL!

Kerrie said...

Wendy - you crack me up! Have you ever thought that maybe the beer was a contributor in you getting pregnant? (giggle)

~ Amy ~ said...

Wow, I think I should meet with that Dr. and see what he can break me of.