Monday, April 16, 2007

Milestone's and more

Milestone's are a big deal at our house. This comes with a pretty long story so get ready. Some of you are new to my life and don't know this story. Those of you that have been with me for a while (or always) feel free to skim over this post. It's ok, I won't be offended.

My pregnancy with Claire was less than stellar. The first trimester was filled with me getting sick 3 times a day and feeling like death warmed over. It wasn't fun at all. Justin has a genetic disease which meant many ultrasounds while I was pregnant. The first one we had with Claire turned our lives upside down. To make a very, very long story as short as possible, we were told that they thought she might have Down Syndrome. We did the testing which showed us that it would be a good idea to do an amniocentesis. We did that and the test came back negative - saying that the baby, which was for sure a girl, didn't have Downs. THANK GOODNESS!


I had a very hard time breathing when I was pregnant with her, so much that I had to take medical leave from work. Finally the day came that she was to be born. I had her via c-section on Friday, April 22, 2005. My doctor went on and on about how much she looked like Nathan. I agreed that she looked like him, but there was something different about her. I couldn't put my finger on it. Without a doubt she had my nose. Was that what made her different from Nathan? I couldn't quite figure it out.

She went the first 52 hours of her life without pooping. On Sunday, the doctor came in our room and sat down. He said that he needed to talk to us about the baby. He said that we needed to talk about Down Syndrome. I stopped him. I wanted to make sure he knew everything we'd been through in the pregnancy. I wanted him to know that if he was going to talk to us about her having Down's than he better be serious. We told him about the amneo that I'd had and that it was negative. He said that he wanted to look at the test results himself to make sure they didn't test my chromosomes instead of hers. Justin was instantly angry. For me it was different. I totally saw what he was saying. That was the difference I'd noticed myself. He said that she had 3 characteristics of a child with Down Syndrome:


1) A simian crease. (That's not Claire's hand, but that's exactly what her hand looks like)
2) Wide spaced eyes with a flat bridge nose.
3) Wide spaced nipples.

Many kids with Down's have bowel problems and he wasn't sure if this was the reason for her not pooping, but with the other characteristics she had, they had to explore the possibility. Someone could have punched my lights out and I would have been just as stunned.

They ended up doing an x-ray to make sure she didn't have some sort of blockage. That was clear. Then they did a suppository and that got her moving slowly but surely.

The doctors came in and said that they didn't believe that she had full blown Downs, but thought she possibly had Mosaicism. They could do a blood test, but it wouldn't tell us without a doubt if she was Mosaic or not. We finally did the test at the end of June (2005). The test came back negative. Due to the fact that the blood test wasn't 100%, the fact that she might be Mosaic never was far from the back of my mind.

Then when she was 10 1/2 weeks old she got sick and had to be put in the hospital. She was septic when I took her to the ER (Justin stayed home with Nathan). Neither of us had any idea just how sick she was. Unfortunately we never found out what was wrong with her. She spent 3 days in the hospital. Then a month later she had to be in the hospital again. This time she was dehydrated. Any time she started to get sick she'd stop eating. Due to the pattern, she was in the hospital a month and a half later. That's 3 hospital stays in 6 months. Ugh!

After all of this we noticed that Claire wasn't hitting milestones. Actually, she started to fall into the black. By 9 months old she was pretty behind. We contacted the people at Easter Seals and they came to our house to evaluate her. The results showed that she was borderline in need of their services. One of the people that evaluated her agreed with me that Claire's arms seemed puffy (notice picture). We took her to the Mayo Clinic to have her looked at. We were checking to see if she had Justin's genetic disease in her arms (his is in his leg). It turned out that she has a mild case in her arms, but the good news is that the doctor said that there is no way she has any form of Down's. She functions way too high to have Down Syndrome. You have no idea what those words meant to me. They were worth their weight in gold - and more.

The pediatrician we saw at Mayo was a wonderful doctor and such a nice man. He said that he thought Claire was too busy fighting to stay well to meet the milestones that she's missed. He said "I bet you within weeks she's walking." Sure enough, by the next week, she took her first steps. She was 15 months. After that, there was nobody that could hold her back. She just went crazy from there. It was like a total metamorphosis was taking place before our very eyes. Once she got caught up, she started to advance. She was meeting milestones before she was 'supposed to'. It was amazing.


The reason for this post was an e-mail that I got from http://www.babycenter.com/. I love this site. I get e-mails that I would guess many of you mothers of young children also get. It tells you what you can expect from your child (ie: milestones). I got one last week that said this: Your toddler can probably hum and sing songs such as "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star" and make three-word sentences like "Cup fall down." I didn't need to read any farther to see if Claire was meeting her milestone. Before I'd sat down at the computer she said "I'm gonna get you mommy, I'm gonna get you." A full 9 word sentence. You've come a long way my sweet little Peach, you've come a long way.

12 comments:

Jennie Thompson said...

What a wonderful post?! You made me cry. Peach is such a sweet, perfect little girl!!

Heidi Jo Comes said...

nothing like a little perspective to change the way we 'over-look' the little things so often.

thank God for doctor's like the one at the Mayo. who encourage and not frighten. who want to see facts BEFORE they diagnosis and scare the he** out of parents.

thanks for sharing with those of us who do not know you well enough to know this story. today, i will be even more thankful for the little milestones and the new words.

Andrea said...

Wow! I'm glad everything turned out ok! Thanks for sharing!

Amber said...

Kerrie, thanks for sharing this again with me. It was a wonderful, wonderful post and I got all teary eyed. Peach is a sweet, sweet little girl and perfect in everyway.
She cracked me up when she said to me on Saturday, "Who is she?"

Just Mom said...

Kerrie,

As you know, doctors managed to scare us too with Alex. So much so that I had to start anti-depressants when Alex turned one because I thought everything (whatever "everything" was) was my fault (I stopped eventually).

Although the subject of Downs never came up, I do wish we had doctors/therapists who didn't scare us in to thinking something was wrong with Alex because he was a little behind in reaching milestones. (His pediatric pulmonologist and a couple of the therapists he saw through Birth to Three were awesome; the others simply scared me.)

He has made great strides since those early years, and now I'm told he seems pretty "normal" (whatever "normal" is, right?).

Thanks for this post. I feel the same way about Alex as you feel about your Peach.

Lori said...

What a wonderful post. You brought tears to my eyes. That puts things in perspective.
Sorry you had to go through all of that. I'm glad that she is doing so well.
That last picture of her is so cute!

Anonymous said...

Your post made me cry too! I can't believe how far she's come. I'm so thankful that everything has turned out well. Prayers truly ARE answered. Can't wait to see you guys!! Love ya!

~ Amy ~ said...

Wow, I had no idea. I can't begin to imagine what you went through with all the questions. What a beautiful and precious girl she is. Milestones are simply miracles in action.

Jamie said...

Thanks for sharing your story!

Claire is such a cutie pie and I am glad to hear that she is doing just fine.

I think too many times we get scared out of our minds by doctors and then sometimes they don't tell you enough. You just can't win sometimes!

Makes you really thank the man above for all the special people in your life.

the boedecker family said...

What a great post Kerrie!! I didn't know any of those thing's about Claire. It's post's like these that make me put things into perspective and be thankful for what I have and how lucky my kid's are to be as well off and they are!!

Tracy said...

I remember every single thing about that story as if it was happening to my own child. I remember the ups and downs and the talks we had about what the doctors were saying. I love that sweet little Peach and am SOOO very happy to see her reaching those milestones and MORE!!! Plus, she loves her Tacy...:)

A mom said...

I am so happy things turned out very good! It doesn't seem like she is going to be 2 soon. It seems like just yesterday, you were pregnant. Mmmm, maybe thats because most of the time I have known you, you have been pregnant. :o)