Monday, September 18, 2006

4 fillings in 15 minutes

Nathan and I got up bright and early to be in Sioux Falls so he could get his teeth filled. He had to have 4 fillings. The dentist prescribed some valume elixer for him to take before his appointment. I was just as nervous about the valume as I was the actual appointment. I had no idea what it would do to him. Would it make him sick enough to throw up? Would I have to try to carry him in the office because it made him so tired he fell asleep? I just didn't know.

First, I must tell you about getting the valume. Our insurance is such that we pay for the prescription and then they send us a check. After paying $100 for Claire's liquid gold a while back, I'm a little nervous when we get a script to fill. I decided that I'd get the prescription filled on Saturday since I got paid on Friday. Logical thinking, right? WRONG!

I asked Justin to fill it Saturday while I was at work. He called after striking out twice at two different pharmacies in town. I called the third, and only other one available, and they didn't have it either. However, the pharmacist DID tell me that the elixer was very expensive. GREAT! (sigh) That's exactly what I wanted to hear.

So I called Justin back and he told me to call around Sioux Falls to see if I could get the prescription filled. I struck out 3 times.....in SIOUX FALLS for crying out loud! Finally the 4th place I called they had some. I made sure to ask how much it cost and it would be $11. No problem! I worried over nothing. So Justin scooped up the kids and they were off to Sioux Falls to pick up the medication. When they got there he found that for one teaspoon it was actually $2 something. Even better!

Ok, so today I was to give Nathan this elixer 45 minutes before his appointment. He and I left the house on time (something I'm always proud of when I accomplish). I made him some toast because I really didn't want him to get sick. He ate it and then came time for the medicine. He WOULD NOT drink it. I tried everything - even bribery. Nothing was working. He was crying and carrying on while I was driving. Time is ticking and we're getting closer and closer to Sioux Falls and he's not taking this medication. Finally I told him that Dr. Poole was going to be upset if he didn't take this medication. Remember my last post? He doesn't want others to think that he's not a good boy. Therefore, he took it. Whew!

It wasn't long and Nathan was in another world. Actually, he wasn't in another world, but the one that he existed in got a heck of a lot better. I'd look back at him and he'd just smile with a very odd kind of 'this isn't so bad afterall' kind of smile. We got to Sioux Falls and it was misting. He asked me if I saw the rainbow. Rainbow? Uh - nope! I'm pretty sure he's the only one in Sioux Falls that would have seen a rainbow. There wasn't a single ray of sunshine in the sky. It made me laugh, but I also felt bad that I'd doped up my kid. He was acting very goofy. I didn't ask him if he felt funny because I didn't want to point it out to him in case he wasn't sure HOW he got this way.

Anyway, we got to the dentist and of coarse waited a few minutes in the waiting room. They came and got him and it wasn't long before Dr. Poole came in to work on him. Fifteen minutes later she was DONE. Four fillings took 15 minutes. He got the laser fillings. He did great. Can you believe that? FIFTEEN minutes! I would guess that laser dentistry might cost a little more than the old fashion way, but I could care less. He has absolutely no fear of the dentist which I think is awesome.

After we left he said he was very tired. He could hardly keep his eyes open on the way back to Madison. I told him that he didn't have to go to school today because that medicine that he took made him tired, but that he would have to take a nap for sure. He didn't lay down until 1:20 and the medication had worn off by then so he decided that he'd MUCH rather go to school then to have to take a nap, however, I was tired too so he crashed with me. Peach was up in her crib and Natey and I were in my bed. We all took a nap and now we're all ready to rock. I guess I'll go pick up the living room so it doesn't look like the tornado that DID strike the southern part of our county on Saturday hit our house as well. Have a good week!

1 comment:

Jennie Thompson said...

I'm laughing hysterically...