Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Lions and Tigers and DENTISTS - Oh My!

First of all, Nathan was for sale yesterday. This has happened more and more since his 4th birthday. Whoever said children have the terrible twos is crazy - at least with this child. I'd gladly go back to 2 if it meant he would stop acting the way he has been.

He took every single toy out of his toy box knowing that he'd have to put them back in. He HATES that part. After telling him a gazillion times to pick it up, I turned off the TV (a trick my mom used to pull - which I hated!) and watched the fireworks begin. He was so angry. I put the rest of the toys away and told him he didn't get to watch TV or play with any of his toys for the rest of the night. I'm sure he would have sold me had he known he could.

Spring forward to Tuesday morning....

His appointment was at 9 in Sioux Falls. I got up at about 6:40 and started getting ready. I went to get him out of bed at about 7:20. He decided he wasn't going to the dentist. He started to fuss and so I told him that he should watch cartoons while I finished getting ready. "Cartoons? Can I watch cartoons today?" he said. Yep folks, it was that easy to spring him from his bed.

We got done getting ready and we were off for Sioux Falls. Justin and Peach were still sleeping and Justin and I decided that I'd take the Explorer. Nathan wasn't sure if this was a good idea. "Did you ask Dad if this is ok?" he said over and over. He's very funny about this. If I have an article of Justin's clothes on then he wants to know if I got permission to wear such item of clothing.

Nathan told me more than once that he was nervous about seeing the dentist. I told him that it was fine and also normal to be nervous.

I tried to tell Nathan some of the things they'd do. "They'll put you in this really cool chair and lay you back so they can look in your mouth. They'll use this fancy tooth brush to make your teeth shine." That second one might have been a mistake. He thought his teeth were going to turn gold.

Ok, so we got there and were called back. He got to sit in the big fancy chair and 'take a ride'. I sat in a chair next to him. The hygienist wanted to look in his mouth, but he wouldn't open very wide. We found out MANY times that he has a very sensitive gag reflex. Many times he decided he was done and didn't want to open any more. The good news is that he did pretty well. The bad news is that he needs 4 fillings. It pains me to spend money on teeth that are going to fall out, but that's what we'll do I guess. They will use a laser on him so they don't have to numb him which is great. They want me to give him some valium which I'm a bit nervous about, but we'll do it. After we left and were on our way home, I asked him if the dentist was ok. He said "It was ok, but did you see that girl try to make me throw up?" HA!!!!!

After we took a nap, he wanted a bite of Peach's yogurt. I told him to open wide and you should have seen how wide he opened up. I said "HEY! Dr. Poole wanted you to open up today but you wouldn't. Look at how wide you can open up now!" He was so excited. He can't wait to show Dr. Poole how wide he can open now. I hope he remembers that excitement on the 18th when I take him to get those teeth filled.


He seems excited to go back so hopefully he'll do ok. What do I know though? I thought liked the clap-in!

No comments: