Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Are you a lurker?

Last July when I started blogging, I never knew it'd become such a part of my life. When the kids did something funny, I used to run to my day planner and write it down so that I could remember it. Now I either write myself a quick e-mail so that I don't forget or blog if I have time.

Do you ever go on someone else's blog that you don't even know or don't know well and read it? I do. When I stared my blog I knew who Amber was because she's a friend of my friend Brandi. Then I realized that she's also a friend of my friend Jennie. She's also a friend of my friend Julie - who I meant through Brandi. I never really spoke to her much, but I'd seen her at different functions and always recognized her face. Now through blogging I consider her a friend - all because of a simple blog.

When I go to someone's blog that I don't know, I find myself thinking strange thoughts about them. I'm not going to name names of coarse, but I think - boy, that person is odd and a polar opposite of myself - or whatever. The funny thing is that not everyone can convey what they are trying to say when they write on a computer. This has happened to you, right? You'll get an e-mail from someone or maybe a text on your phone and think 'are they mad at me' or something of the sort because you aren't able to know the mood of the person when they are writing it. So when I'm lurking on someone else's blog I find myself thinking 'I wonder if this person is this odd in their normal every day life'. Know what I mean? I would guess that people might come across this and think that I've lost my lovin' mind. They might just be on to something though. :) I wonder how far off my thoughts are about the person is what I guess I'm trying to say.

Before I started my blog I'd usually get on the Internet and find myself going to Kelo, CNN, tvguide.com (to read interviews), keithurban.net (to see if he'd left me any love letters - giggle), and so on. Now when I get on the Internet I go to all the blog spots that I read which takes me MUCH longer than going to any of the above. Blogging - it's a strange yet comforting world for me.

So, today was odd if nothing else (well, technically yesterday I guess). Tracy and I planned to get together one last time before she had to go back to work. They got here not long after noon for our visit. Natey couldn't WAIT for Dawson to get here. It's all he talked about all morning long. When Tracy got here, she ran across the street to McDonald's to get lunch for all of us. While she was gone, Caymen had a HUGE melt down. She screamed her head off almost the entire time she was gone. Tracy wasn't gone for a long time, but when you have a baby who's so unhappy, it sure seemed like a while.

We ate our lunch and Natey was being very mouthy to Tracy. He had to apologize for talking to her the way he was - it was that bad. Jack was beyond fussy. I think he might be picking up what the kids had last week - not really what I need. Then Dawson and Natey started being little butts. They were being mean to each other and they were being mouthy to Tracy and I. The whole visit seemed to just be 'off' from the get go.

I thought it would be fun for the boys if they decorated a gingerbread house, so I had Justin buy me a fun kit I'd seen out at Pamida. Dawson wasn't really into the idea of it and Nathan could hardly wait for the decorating to begin. We waited for Claire to lay down, Jack to go back to sleep and for Caymen to be fed, nap, and not be fussy. Well, the time finally came for the decorating to commence.

Both boys drive Trac and I crazy with having to be first and having to be the winner. Both are equally as bad as the other when it comes to this. They both wanted to be the first to decorate, so I told Dawson that he could go first since he was a guest in our house. (I would post some pictures, but of coarse blogger doesn't like the way I've chosen to do this, so I'll have to do it in another post - damn thing!)

Anyway, Dawson tired of decorating before Nathan did and wanted Natey to be done so they could play. This adds fuel to Nathan's fire. If he knows that something is going to get under Dawson's skin, then by all means let keep doing it. He decorated for at least another 10 minutes - just keeping Dawson waiting - impatiently I might add. They were very much 4 year olds today - UGH!

So anyway, it came time for them to leave and by that time I wasn't feeling all too well. My back was hurting and I had yet another headache. Later in the evening Tracy called to tell me a Dawson funny and asked if I thought today was fun which I promptly answered no. She was glad to hear it and we talked about how the whole thing was just - off. I told her that while I was cooking supper, all I could think about was how shitty each of the kids were all the way down to Jack. It was just very strange. Maybe they'd all been together too much as of late - I don't know? I didn't even feel that I was able to get a good visit in with Trac. Strange I tell you!

Ok, so once again I'll post this and then post the pictures of the gingerbread house extravaganza.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's crazy when you find out how you're connected to people through so many friends-of-a-friend!
I'm so glad that I've gotten to know you better over the last couple of months!

Anonymous said...

I have the same feelings about blogs. What's the first thing I do in the morning after checking my email? I read all 12 blogs that I have under my favorites. It's amazing how it can make you feel "connected" to people. I also find it nice and therapeutic to be able to just write what I'm thinking and what happened during my day. Most people could care less I'm sure but it's nice to just get it out there.

Let's hope the kids are better on Saturday! I'm very excited to see all of you (minus Justin b/c I've seen too much of him this week. :-) LOL!)

Anonymous said...

Kerrie,

I think you're as nutty in person as you are on your blog. Keep it up ;-)

I have to admit that I, too, have become addicted to blogging. I've also done Google searches to find blogs of people (all strangers from all over the world) with the same interests I have (cooking, writing, theology). So far I remain a lurker on those sites. I would introduce myself, but I've hung around Jennie and other law types too long to say to myself, "What, are you an idiot?!" every time I get that urge.

Anyway... Regarding the behavior of the kids. Don't be too disappointed. Remember that even kids have off days just like "grown ups."

Aisha

Anonymous said...

Oh! I was going to say... It's funny how both you and Jennie know Amber. Her kids go to the same daycare Alex used to go to when I needed a backup. I think her oldest is also friends with the Boldt kids (or am I mistaken). Anyway, their mother used to watch Alex. And of course when I was still at the paper, many of my best photos of kids at local events included her daughters.

Hi Amber!

Anonymous said...

Hi Aisha,
I got a kick out of your comment because I didn't know that you know Kerrie and Jennie!
Yes, Shayla knows the Boldt girls through church and Cherub choir. Actually Shayla is switching nights for gymnastics so she's going to start Cherub Choir at church again. I just talked to Robin last night about it, she's such a neat lady!! I just really like her!
Thanks also for the comment about my girls and the pictures, Shayla always thought it was SO COOL to be in the paper!

Anonymous said...

Amber...you're welcome to visit my blog: www.opinionatedsahm.blogspot.com

Yes, Robin is a wonderful woman. She has the patience of a saint.