Saturday, December 30, 2006

The experiment

I found out the hard way when I was nursing Nathan that he couldn't handle it when I'd drink caffeine. It took me a while to figure it out, but he would cry and pull up his legs and be in obvious discomfort when I'd have pop. It wasn't a huge deal and I stopped drinking caffeine while I nursed. I never noticed that chocolate caused him any discomfort or anything else for that matter.

When I had Claire, I wasn't drinking caffeine. It would give me a stomach ache so I cut it out of my diet completely. Well, later in my pregnancy with Jack I realized that I could drink caffeine with out it hurting my stomach if I had enough fiber in my diet - crazy I know. I'd have it now and then and it wouldn't be a big deal. Just before he was born and even more after, I had this mean craving for Mellow Yellow. I even bought a 12 pack and drank it - the whole thing. I came to realize that Jack was starting to have a hard time when I drank caffeine just as Nathan did. Darn it! I thought it was best to see what chocolate would do to him if anything. I bought a bag of mini Reese's peanut butter cups and went to town - no holds barred. Well, last night while Justin and Nathan were at the game, I got to deal with a VERY upset Jack for 2 1/2 hours. He screamed almost non stop. So my experiment showed that I won't be having Mellow Yellow OR chocolate for the next year.....A YEAR PEOPLE! (sigh) What you won't do for the ones that you love.

Speaking of the game, Nathan had a BLAST. If you are a reader of Tracy's blog, this will be a recap for you. Justin and Nathan sat with Tracy, Dawson, and Dawson's Grandpa who Nathan lovingly calls Papa Ken. Natey could hardly contain himself when he got home. He was so excited to tell me that 'all the guys' gave him fives. I asked who the guys were and he told me it was the basketball team. I couldn't understand why on earth the players would have given him five. I asked Justin and I guess the little kids line the floor and the players run around and give them five. How cute is that? Natey said "They kind of almost knocked me down." He sure didn't seem to mind. He has a love affair with a player named Lance Tolley. We don't know Lance Tolley (never just Lance), but Nathan heard his name on the loud speaker at a football game this year and has talked about him ever since. Anyway, they had a great time. Here are some pictures Tracy took with her cell phone. Cute!!

Looks like they had a good time to me. They are HUGE Bulldog fans which I think is awesome. The Bulldogs won by the way - GO DAWGS!!

I've been meaning to post these last two pictures. This is what Claire looked like on the ride home from Pierre at Christmas. She got a new Dora movie which was a HUGE hit. She seems to be enjoying herself.
Here is a picture of Natey in the 'way back'. He got a new Full House DVD that he can't get enough of. He also got the movie Cars from his Grandparents, so he was going between the two.
Ok - and this last one just because I think it's so cute.
Tomorrow night we'll be hanging out at the Ferber's. I'll have to make sure to take some pictures of Jack. I can't believe how big he's getting.

I hope you all have a happy and SAFE New Year's celebration!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lance Tolley is Mason Avery's brother. Mason talks about Lance all the time in school, that is where Nathan probably heard his name.
Susan

Kerrie said...

No WONDER! You're the best! I'll have to tell Liz when I see her next. Thanks Suzie!

Tracy said...

Who knew that Lance Tolley had such fans!!! Hee hee!

Just Mom said...

Thanks for your post, Kerrie. I was beginning to think I was the only mother who likes to torment her kids with "experiments."

Anyway, I'm sorry you'll have to give up the caffeine for a while. I'm sure you'll survive. I only had to give up that stuff for about a week (maybe just a little longer) when my doctor got concerned about Alex's lack of weight gain and had me start him on formula. (I know, too much information.)

Have a very Happy New Year.

Amber said...

My girls got Season 1 of Full HOuse for Christmas. They LOVE it. It's super funny because we'll be driving down the road and all of a sudden both of them with bust our laughing - like full belly laughs. Who knew that our kids would love the shows that we grew up watching?!?!
Man, that makes be feel old!