Thursday, July 26, 2007

PT eval

Yesterday the PT person came to evaluate Jack. I'm not sure why, but I wasn't really expecting what she told me. She said the muscle tone in his legs is extremely low. One would have thought I knew that, right? For some reason I didn't. Quite frankly I was shocked. She said that the muscle tone in his arms wasn't great, but his legs are much worse. Yeah, I was shocked. She showed us some things that we need to do to Jack's legs to help him get stronger.



I don't remember what she wanted him to do, roll over or something, and she said "He's very limber". She's right, he's very limber. I guess I thought that was normal. She said "He's almost doing the Chinese splits." Yep, right again. That's when she looked at me and must have realized that I thought this was very normal for a 8 month old. She said "That's not normal for a baby of this age." Oh - gottcha. I totally wasn't following her. Anyway, we need to try to strengthen his legs and hips.

I'm not sure if the speech person is coming or not. I haven't heard from them. OT called yesterday and said they have their eval done and are going to send it in the mail. We'll have a group meeting on Aug. 8th. That's where I'll find out if Jack qualifies for the Birth to 3 services.
(Update: Justin just called and said that he got the OT's report. Jack does qualify for their services which we'll talk about on Aug. 8th.)

Peach's nose is much better than I thought it was going to be. I'm afraid she's sure had her share of bad luck. Last night after supper she was sitting in her chair having a cupcake. I was on the phone when I heard a loud crash - and then Claire screaming. She fell over backwards in her chair. For crying out loud! Thankfully I think most of the blow was absorbed on the carpet and not the wood floor the chair was originally sitting on. A run for my money people - a run for my money. I wouldn't trade her in for anything, but she's going to be the one I have to worry about the most I think.

Yesterday when Peach got up from her nap, I took Nathan and Jack up to her room to greet her. She LOVED it. They all did. What's up with that kid's mohawk in the middle? :) It was WAY out of control yesterday. He needs some baby hair gel. I'm sure he'd sit still long enough for me to spike it. Yeah, I could spike it and then color the tips purple or something. FUN! He's tryin' to bring freaky back. :)

17 comments:

Kari said...

Kerrie,
Be assured that whatever is going on with Jack, you caught it very early. That will help him a great deal! Hopefully you will be able work with him and get him "caught up".

I don't have to tell you though, what a beautiful, precious child Jack is. No matter what obstacles he faces in his life, he is lucky because he has two WONDERFUL parents who love him a lot! You are doing a great job! Keep up the good work!

Kerrie said...

Thank you Kari.

Tracy said...

Yes, please spike Jack's hair! Oh-and purple YES! LOVE IT!!

The kids look so darn happy!!

LOVE YOU ALL!

Amber said...

Jack...he's the baby version of Vanilla Ice! Remember his hair? He had that thing going with his hair too!
LOVE IT!!!!

~ Amy ~ said...

Your little Peach seems to be having the same summer my Kale had last year - one accident after the other. His face was swelled and black and blue for about six weeks last year because he kept getting hit with a ball in the same spot. OUCH!!!

Jamey said...

Max (my 7 year old) could do the Chinese splits at that age too--in fact he did it all the time and the doctor (Dr. Lang) told me that was NOT normal. And he is just fine now! I agree with Kari--you caught it early and are doing what you can. A lot of parents wouldn't follow up like that. He's a lucky boy!! We have two boys and a girl too and the girl is the accident prone, crazy, risk taker. She will definately be our challenge!!

Anonymous said...

Poor Claire! I couldn't help but giggle. How the heck is she having such bad luck?? I feel for her! And I love the picture of the three of them on the bed. Too cute!!! Also made me giggle!!!

Keep us posted on Jack!

Anonymous said...

It's a tie now...you and Tracy's kids are equally cute! Yup, I can't have favorites anymore. (Sorry Tracy) I want all of them!

Jamie said...

Jack would look so AWESOME w/ purple spiked hair...or maybe neon green!!

I really love that picture of all three of them.....happy family!

Heidi Jo Comes said...

that boy could NEVER be freaky kerrie! but the purple hair would be a nice kick-off to the vikings season.

Tess said...

I love Jack's hair!! It is so adorable.. I have to agree, purple for Vikings season would be awesome!!

I would have to agree with everyone, glad to hear you are being proactive with Jack's development, but also try to keep in mind every child so very different and he might be totally fine. Good to have him checked out, but don't fret, he is just a baby, he can turn the corner over night!

Just Mom said...

Adorable kids, Kerrie.

BTW ... You and Justin won't be disappointed by the care those Birth to Three people give to your little guy.

Just remember ... at one time I thought Alex would never be able to walk, run or jump. Now I fear he will never sit still. :-/

With Bto3, parents like you and faith, your Jack will "catch up."

A mom said...

That is a great picture of the kids. I am glad Jack qualifies. Make sure to keep us updated....I know you will.

WP Finley III said...

Another informative post. I have been prompted to discover what Chinese Splits are. Thank god for Wikpedia, my new saving grace.

Momma Roar said...

You're kids are just so cute - I had to chuckle about Claire - because Elle is the exact same way - and I mean exact. She just walks across the floor and trips - she's got my sense of balance!

You are a great mom Kerrie!

Have a terrific weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amber said...

Hey Kerrie...are doing anything fun this weekend?!?!

Lori said...

Thinking of you. Praying for little Jack. I'm sure everything will work out just fine.