Saturday, July 21, 2007

A Public Service Announcement of sorts

When you get something in your mind, do you easily let go of it? I don't. I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing - both I would assume. For instance, one day I was talking to my sister and she was ordering some chicken nachos at Taco John's. That sounded really good to me at the time. Every meal that I consumed I thought, "I really wish this were chicken nachos from Taco John's". Finally came the day when the chicken nachos fit into my schedule. I ate them, I enjoyed them, I was finally over them. Are you like this too? I do this all the stinkin' time and it drives me crazy.

Amber posted the other day about
'her norm'. Her post was pointing out the things that were normal to her, but abnormal to others. It was a great post and fun to read. I like learning things about my new friends. ;) Anyway, since that day I haven't been able to get this topic out of my head. Please allow me to do so now so I can move on. Thank you.




Amber said that she doesn't have a land line and has never had one as long as she and her husband have been together. My sister is in the same boat. She has a cell phone, but not a land line. While, economically I think this is the great idea, when it comes to safety it scares me to death.


When was the last time you bought a cellular phone? Was it in the last few years? If you have, then the sales person quite possibly told you about the feature on your cell phone that will 'tell emergency personnel where you are if you are stranded or unable to speak'. That's not a very accurate statement. My guess is that the person that sold you your phone, on commission no less, really could care less if you're found when you call 911 after turning your vehicle upside down in the ditch. They've long profited from your purchase and your now just a part of that big pay check last July.


Let me show you a part of my job that you'd normally never see. This information was generated with my cell phone. This first picture is what I, as the dispatcher, see when you call here on a non emergency number. (I blacked out some of the things. I don't need everyone on the web to have my cell number. We obviously get the full information.)
I get the phone number, the time of call, date, and the name of the person the phone is listed to. That's what I get when you call the non emergency number. Now, let me show you what I get when you call 911 using your cell phone.Ok, it's obviously a little more complex than the first picture. Most of this won't make sense to you, but it does to me and my fellow co-workers. If you look through all the numbers here, you'll see CALLBK=(605)480-52**. That's the number that is listed to the phone that called. That's my cell phone number. Now, my cell phone is capable and set to show my location when I call 911. Here is where the misconception comes in. Just because your cell phone is capable of giving the satellite the information does not mean that the satellite is capable of receiving the information. I used my cell phone from my office which happens to be in the basement. The satellite isn't able to make a connection to get my correct location. Look hard - there is no address. You might notice that there is Longitude and Latitude, but if you mapped it out, you would find yourself at a cell phone tower. Maybe you're thinking 'well that's ok that it didn't map in a basement, as long as I'm in my house I should be ok'. Well, you might be, however, I got a call a couple of winters ago and the guy had no idea where he was. Lucky for him, so he thought, he had a hand held GPS system with him. You know what I'm talking about, right?Yeah, one of these. Ok, so I was on the phone with this guy and he had to stick his hand out the window to get a reading because it wouldn't work from inside his vehicle. Crazy, right? Just because you're using your cell from your house doesn't mean that we'll get the information that we need to come and help you. We might not even be able to get a reading from your phone if your under your favorite shade tree in your front yard. Get what I'm saying?

Now, if you're able to speak and give me your address or the location that you're at then everything will go much more smoothly. However, that isn't always the case. I once had someone who had to know CPR for their job call for an ambulance. The person they were calling for was unresponsive and needed CPR. When I asked the caller if she was able to start CPR, she told me that she didn't know CPR. I knew that wasn't the case, but also realized that she was in shock and I needed to get help there immediately.


Your brain does silly things when you're in shock. Have you ever been part of an emergency? Have you ever seen an accident or maybe been a part of it? Your brain quickly takes over to take care of you, not always letting the bad things in (ie: trauma of the situation). Maybe you were present when a bank was robbed, Aisha, and you had no idea this was happening. Or maybe you did and you told the police it was a very thin man, wearing a red shirt, holding a gun when in reality it was a very thin man, wearing a black coat, holding a knife. Your brain does some crazy things when you have adrenalin rushing through your body.


Lets take a look at what information comes to our 911 center when you call from a land line.We get the phone number, address - everything that we'd need to send help. If someone called 911 and hung up, we'd still know where to send an officer if we suspected something was wrong. If you call 911 and we don't make contact with you, we send an officer to make sure everything is ok. If you call 911 from your cell phone, not so much. We call your number back, usually get your voice mail, leave a message and hope you're ok.

I'm not saying that it's wrong to only have a cell phone. I just wanted to open your eyes to my world and the way I see it.

Whew - done with that one. Next!

10 comments:

Lori said...

That was interesting. Thanks for sharing all that info with us about cell phones and emergency situations.

Anonymous said...

I've said it to my kids all along, but once again.... do they ever listen to me. I'm making them read this! Thanks Miss Smarty pants. You are a real life saver!

Kristie said...

So are you the Kerrie I spoke to the other day when my son was bit by a dog????????????

Kerrie said...

That would be correct, Kristie. ;)

Momma Roar said...

wow, that was interesting - thanks for sharing it (and yeah, I'm like that too).

Funny story - in college, we had to dial 9 to make outside calls. The # I was trying to reach started with 91 - accidentally, I pushed 911, realized my mistake and hung up. I correctly called the person but while we were on the phone, my call waiting beeped - it was 911 - I felt like such a fool. I left my dorm and passed the officer coming up the steps, asked him if he was coming to dorm room 312 and he said yes. I explained the embarrassing situation.

Even though I felt like a goof - I was so thankful that they do double check. I'm just waiting for the day one of my kids accidentally dials 911.

I see your countdown is in single digits now - yay!

Just Mom said...

I refuse to give up my landline because of all the things you've mentioned. I also don't assume my cell phone will always work in an emergency, which is why I drive as safely as I can and don't take unnecessary risks.

Excellent post.

Kari said...

When I was married to Onna's dad, I called 911 from a landline and hung up during one of his "incidents". An officer showed up rather quickly, we lived in an apartment building so I was able to deny calling them (for my safety). The officer defused the situation rather quickly, he offered to take me to a safe house, but I was too chicken to leave then. A year and a half later I finally left.

A mom said...

I wish everyone could read this. Not to long ago, I had a party call 911 on a cell from their house. They obviously needed help, but they didn't want the other party to know they called, so they just left the line open. I was able to get a general idea of what block they may be on, but that was it. The outcome could have been much worse had the officers had to go from door to door trying to figure out where the emergency was. I was lucky enough that the party eventually whispered an address in the phone. And even luckier that I heard what she said.

I think cell phones are a good thing, but they also give way to many people a false sense of security. I think each phone should come with some informative info such as this. But, who says anyone would read it.

Anonymous said...

Another thing I have preached to my daughter about: Everyone assumes if they have an accident they can call for help on their cell phone. But where is that phone while you are driving? In your purse? On the dash? It can go flying in a crash and you may not be able to find it or get to it. You need to have that phone attached to your body, and as Kerrie says, you still may not be able to get the help you need.

WP Finley III said...

Good post. One of the best I have seen in the blog world recently. Good enough that I'm actually commenting on it and not doing that nasty "lurking" that I am so notorious for.