Monday, March 05, 2007

Is it wrong? Is it intrusive?

How many blogs do you read? I have 14 listed in my favorites. Of those 14 I personally know 9 of the people. What draws you to other blogs? Is it a comment? Is it the picture that's next to the comment? For me it is usually a combination of both. I'm a very visual person. I'm more likely to click on someones blog if they have a picture with their comment. If there is no picture, that might be enough to make me go looking for one. I like to feel like I know who I'm talking to.

The last two days I've been wondering on to other people's sites though the comments of fellow bloggers. It's interesting how many familiar faces I see commenting on those sites too. Most of the people that comment on my site are from South Dakota, however, I have people that visit my site from all over the globe (although I'm not sure why).

Is it wrong to go other people's sites? Sometimes I feel as though I'm equivalent to a window peeper. There are other sites that I'm locked into and would be very sad if for some reason I couldn't go there to check in. Actually, I was telling my boss about one of the sites that I go to every day. She asked why I would want to read about someone that I didn't even know. I explained to her that to me it was the same as reading a book that never ends. She said that she bets in the near future there will be many books as results of blogs. I agree.

As far as my blog goes, at this time I don't care who comes and reads. It doesn't bother me that there are way more readers than people that comment. Actually, I find it interesting. Don't get me wrong, comments are fun and I welcome anyone to comment if they so choose. However, for some people it seems like it's a contest to see how many comments they can get. For me it's not a means of validation. I would blog if nobody commented. Blogging isn't about that for me. It used to drive me crazy not knowing who you were and why you were here, but you come back every day and you are welcome here. Please don't ever feel like a window peeper - I don't view you as such.

When I make the rounds each day reading every ones blogs, I often wonder who it is they are blogging for. I started my blog for my extended family when I was pregnant with Jack. I had my mother and mother-in-law in mind with many of my early posts. Both of them live 2+ hours away from me and I wanted them to feel as though they lived across the street. I didn't want them to miss their grandchildren growing up and this was the easiest way to get that done, through stories, pictures and video's. I used to e-mail a baby update after each doctor visit. I did this with all of the kids. I would get confused and forget to add people to the list and would always end up leaving someone out. I thought if I did it this way, nobody could blame me for leaving them out. I never thought my blog would be read by a complete stranger. Maybe that was naive on my part.

When I started my blog the only people I personally knew with blogs were my cousin Nicole and my friend Jennie. I admit, I thought it was a bit silly when I started it. For some reason I felt embarrassed to have a blog. Just saying or typing the word blog was like fingernails on a chalkboard. Thankfully I've gotten over that.


As for now, I still blog for my family, but I also find it quite therapeutic. Not long ago Justin said to me in amazement "You don't have a sensor button, do you?" I guess not. I don't think I ever have - my guess is that I never will. (It had nothing to do with my blog. I just thought it was funny...and true.)

So take it or leave it. It's always your choice to Experience Life ~ Kerrie Meyer style. ;)

21 comments:

~ Amy ~ said...

tap, tap , tap, it's me a window peeper! Kerrie - there's no picture, I almost moved on (JK). I have no idea who I am actually writing my blog to since my family hardly ever reads it. They already know everything about us since they all live so close. I guess I write mine just to let a little bit of the world in. Being a SAHM I don't get very much adult conversation.

Heidi Jo Comes said...

Kerrie thanks for the insights. I thought I'd blog for family, and I sometimes do. But it has changed.

I think sometimes that people really think I am writing about stuff that happened that day. I don't. I write about life in general...and things that happen to me and I think probably happen to a lot of others. But it isn't a window into my home. My blog really is very general.

I think it is a great way to connect with other women when you just don't have the means to do it any other way. I know that our husbands don't really get it. They might not mind it, but they don't get it.

I look at it as, if I have 10K words to use up each day and Chad only has 3K...he should be happy that when he gets home I only have about 3K left:-)

Anonymous said...

I don't think it's intrusive or wrong to read other people's blogs. If they don't want you there, they shouldn't have the blog in the first place!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Holly. If someone didn't want the general public, so to speak, reading their blog ... they should have it password protected.

Personally, I blog AND read other blogs to help me feel as though I'm not alone in this crazy world of Motherhood. When I read about other people's experiences, I often can relate ... and it feels good to know I'm not the ONLY one going through certain situations.

I love the way you described it as reading a never ending book ... that is generally how I see it as well. :) You eventually feel like you KNOW these bloggers you read daily ... and actually miss them when they don't post. Like talking to a friend every morning for updates and then being able to carry on with your day. LOL!

Thanks to Heidi Jo ... I'm able to window peep into your little corner of Bloggerville. Thanks for having me. :)

Tracy said...

Yeah, you got me addicted to this crazy BLOG life...but thanks so much because I have "met" some great women and would miss them if they weren't there!! Although I know you very well and we talk almost everyday, I still enjoy reading about Kerrie Meyer! (hugs)

Andrea said...

Kerrie, I'm a regular reader of your blog and an aquaintance of Amber, that's how I came across your blog.

And yes, I've felt very intrusive sometimes, reading other people's blogs and don't know who they are but finally decided if they didn't want me to read it, it would be password protectd.

I was hooked to your blog while the doctors were trying to figure out what was wrong with Jack. I don't even know you but I was praying that everything would come out ok. I'm glad it did!

Amber said...

I started my blog for our family. Since we don't have any family that live in our town I found it to be a good way of keeping everyone updated without repeating the same story over and over and over. And this way I don't need to fill up their mailboxes with pictures every week!
At first my blog was just about everyday happenings and over the last months it's somewhat evolved into more.
I’m glad that I’ve gotten to know you better over the last 9 months!

Just Mom said...

When I started blogging (thanks to Heidi) I was blogging strictly for family and friends so they could see how Alex was growing. Now I think that has changed because I feel more comfortable revealing a little bit more about me and my sometimes quirky personality. I don't tell all, however. As I've said before, I save all the good stuff for my journal.

At first, I really didn't want to venture beyond the blogs of those I knew, but something (probably nuttiness) made me do that one day, and I'm so far happy I did. It has been fun "meeting" people. I hadn't realized how many amazing women there are out there in the world. I thought I personally knew all the amazing women.

I do venture to sites outside our current circle of blogger friends. There, I'm strictly an admirer of these women's words. Someday I might say "hi," but not today.

Karenkool said...

Hi Kerrie, I'm Karen. I just recently wandered over here. It's a good post. I wonder about these things, or have along the way.

I'm a "connection" kind of person. I like to meet new people and experience the world of others. Blogging really opens that up for me.

My parents read my blog, but I write because I've come to really enjoy writing... and I love interacting with people, but mostly I blog and read blogs for a good laugh and a smile.

Ciao

Lori said...

Heidi is who got me into blogging.

I first just started commenting to other people's blog even before I got mine going.

I think it is a fun way to keep in touch with family and friends. I also like to connect with other women. I've started reading others from other states and think it is a fun way to get to know other people.

Heidi Jo Comes said...

I see that I'm being credited or blamed for Aisha and Lori's blogging... ladies, I may have "inspired" you because you found mine so facinating (LOL) but I can hardly be held responsible for your new obsessions with blogging;-)

Jamie said...

Hello, I am Jamie and I started reading your blog through Jennie. I agree w/ you 100%!!

You know - our kids played together at the library park when you were pregnat w/ Claire. Whe I found your blog I thought....wow what a small world.

Jamie :))

the boedecker family said...

Kerrie I love reading your blog and hope that you don't mind. I know we don't know eachother on a personal note but you are truely interesting and someone I would like to know! To me it sounds like we share a same humor and take on many things. Also hearing comments from a mom with more than one child is nice too!! Take care, Barb Boedecker

First Time Mommy said...

I don't think reading someone's blog as being intrusive or wrong. I read all the blogs Jennie has listed on her site almost daily. I have a blog and personally don't care who reads it :)..so go ahead everyone...read away!

I started my blog to keep in touch with family (since everyone is so scattered across the U.S.). I have had people thank me for doing a blog because this way they can keep up with what's going on with our lives.

Kari said...

Kerrie,

I think it's crazy how the blogging chain keeps growing. You started yours and hooked Tracy. Then she started hers and hooked Barb and me. Now my sister has one, and some of her friends too.

I started blogging mostly for my friends. I don't live in the same town as them anymore, so this way we can still stay connected. You know how it is with kids, as soon as you get a "quiet" moment to make a phone call to a friend, mass chaos hits and you have to cut the conversation short. With blogging it's so much easier to find time when it is convenient.

Like you, I was really nervous when I started mine. I was even more nervous to read someone else's. Yours was the first one that I read of someone I don't really "know" very well.

Thank you for getting me hooked, and for allowing me into your life. Your sense of humor is awesome! I really enjoy reading your stories and getting to know your family.

Valerie said...

Hi Kerrie,
I occassionally visit your blog through Jennie's. I had heard so much about you, it is fun to have a face to put with the stories!

Brandi said...

Wow...great blog Kerrie. I haven't ventured outside of our circle yet as I haven't taken any time to do so. I was very hesitant when I started this because I never thought of myself as a blogger...but, then, thats me speaking too soon. I LOVE IT. I am thankful for Amber & Julie getting me signed up. I read your blog 1-2 times a week to stay caught up on your family...and a great way for me to keep in touch with Tracy & her family as well. Its great. I just don't get too creative like some of you girls - I hope it will come in time.

A mom said...

You know you are the one who got me hooked on this blogging thing. I have been reading yours since you started it, and often thought about starting my own. But I thought nobody would want to read mine, because I would have nothing interesting to say. I finally decided it would be easier to start the blog than fill up everyones inbox with pics and updates on Colter.

I also enjoy reading other blogs. Some I know, some I know of, others I have never even met, but find them interesting in some way. I think I have about 5 in my fav's, but I also visit other blogs through peoples comments. And you have a lot today for me to read! jk!!

So, thanks to you, I am addicted. Sometimes I would like to cuss at you for that!!! But I find it very good therapy, and I really don't care anymore if people don't find me interesting. I do, and that is all that matters!

Luv ya!

Nicole said...

---"Not long ago Justin said to me in amazement "You don't have a sensor button, do you?" I guess not. I don't think I ever have - my guess is that I never will."---

Ha! That made me lough out loud!

Candy said...

Hiya
I came across your blog, not sure how and from where now :) but I wanted to comment on this post. I enjoyed it! I started blogging to update my family and friends mainly but also to get to share home keeping and decorating ideas. Some peoples blogs are better than buying magazines for me!
I dont think its intrusive at all to go to other peoples blog. Maybe Im wrong though. But I think if a person wanted a private blog they would make it private. But maybe Im assuming and I could be wrong. Ive been known to be wrong sometimes hahaa :)
Anyways, nice to "meet" you. Id enjoyed this little visit :)

Candy~

Jenny said...

Hi Kerrie -
Well, now that I know you don't mind me "intruding" on your blog I will go ahead and say hello! I found your blog through Heidi's and have been eavesdropping for quite awhile. My daughter Lily is in Nathan's preschool class. A few times I have seen you dropping him off or picking him up and I've had resist the urge to just start in talking to you about what you've blogged like a crazy person. So, maybe next time I see you I will say hi.