Sunday, February 04, 2007

It made me cry - literally

Yesterday after I got off work, I ran to Jubilee to pick up a few things. While I was there I saw a couple of kids that live down the alley from me. The little girl is more than I can handle on most days. My guess is that she's in about the 4th grade or so. She was with one of her brothers who I would guess to be in middle school. The first time I saw them I didn't make eye contact with them. I didn't want to be held up by the little girl. I was on a 'get in and get out' mission. It wasn't long until I ran into them again. This time I noticed that the boy had a grocery list. I looked around for their parents. I hadn't run into either of them in the store.

The kids and I were checking out at the same time. They took their load of groceries to the courtesy counter. The look on the cashiers face was one of obvious displeasure. I was getting more and more sad for these kids. I got checked out before they were done and ran out to the van to see if maybe the parents were in the parking lot. I got out to the van and looked around. I didn't see any of their vehicles, but that didn't mean anything. I don't always know their vehicles.

Finally I saw the kids coming out. They were both loaded up with grocery bags. The boy was also carrying a 12 pack of pop. They started walking across the parking lot towards their house. I had HUGE hopes that their parents would drive up to get them. It didn't happen.

I looked up to the panel on my van that says the temperature. It said -3. That was just the air temperature. There was wind and it was cold. Neither of them had gloves on. The girl had a hat on but the boy didn't. I couldn't take it. I zoomed over to them and asked if they were the kids that lived down the alley from me (knowing full well that they were). The boy didn't want to talk to me but the little girl yelled "YES". I asked if they were walking home in which they said they were. I put the van in park and told them to get in.

We got their groceries loaded up and we headed towards home. I realize that it was only a block and a half, but it was so cold that your skin burned instantly when you went outside. It was horrible.

To get to their house you have to go thru the alley. While I was approaching the alley, the boy said "Don't drop us off there. I'd like to get out here" (on the road). I casually said, "Oh, ok. Will you get in trouble if they knew I gave you a ride?" He said "Yes. Probably."

I let them out of the van and they loaded their arms with the grocery sacks. As I was shutting the door the boy told the girl that he must not tell their parents. They thanked me and I got back in the van. I shut the door and started to cry. WHO on earth would have their kids go get groceries in this cold? What kind of parent would make them walk? I don't know. I don't have an answer for this one.

11 comments:

Heidi Jo Comes said...

Oh that makes me sad. Do you know the parents...or ever run into them. If they will do that to the kids I wonder what else goes on behind closed doors. Say a prayer, and I'll join you, for all the little children who aren't cared for as they should be.

Nicole said...

That is absolutely heartbreaking!!

Just Mom said...

I'm assuming you told this story to Justin. I know there isn't much he can do at this point.

Like Heidi, I'm wondering what is actually going on behind closed doors. It's fine to teach kids responsibility, if that's what they were trying to do, but to send them out on their own to the grocery store -- and without warm clothes -- is despicable. Even in this small town, I wouldn't leave my child unattended, no matter what age he/she is.

You have restored my faith in human beings. For every irresponsible person there is a kind, caring individual.

Tracy said...

I know this probably broke your heart!! I am so sorry that happened to those children. What were those parents thinking...I know you wouldn't have done anything different except take them home maybe...

GOOD JOB hon!

Lori said...

Bless your heart for taking them home.
I can't believe that either. Who would send your kids out in the freezing cold to get groceries??
Why can't the parents do that themselves. Very sad.

Anonymous said...

Kerrie... well done. I would have done the same thing. What are those parents thinking- they probably aren't.It is so cold out. I too wonder what happens at home. You guys will have to keep close eye them until something can be done. God put you in the right place at the right time. It breaks my heart to know that happens but to know it happens in our small town. There are so many people who want children and can't and then there are some who don't deserve them.
Susan

Amber said...

Oh my, I had tears rolling down my face. Who on earth does stuff like that?!?
Like everyone else has said: I wonder what goes on behind close doors.
That is so, so sad.

Anonymous said...

Kerrie, you are wonderful person. I love you!!!

Anonymous said...

Great job, Ker. Things like that make me so proud to be your sister. When I grow up, I wish I could be just like you!!

Love ya!

A mom said...

That is so sad. You have such a good heart.

Anonymous said...

Make that family your mission. I am sure Justin already told you this, but you can call CPS in Brookings and remain annymous. Chances are there are other members of the community that have made referrals about this family. Nothing else it keeps a record of abuse/neglect and may help for future investigations.

Cam