Saturday, February 10, 2007

Well done!!!

Did you read this story? When I came to work today this call was winding down. From what I hear, our dispatcher did an awesome job. I couldn't be happier about it! As dispatchers, we often times go unnoticed. Actually, the police also go unnoticed as well (which I'll never understand). In the paper, you might see a thank you to the ambulance and hospital staff, but it was the dispatcher who got that ambulance for you AND the police officer who either came to assess the situation or possibly even gave CPR. It's very nice when someone calls to tell the dispatcher that they did a good job. As you can imagine, it's not fun to have someone screaming in your ear that they need help - whatever the reason is.

This morning one of the girls dad's called and thanked the dispatcher. I thought that was super great! I'm glad this story had the ending it did. Last weekend might have brought a different result with the temps we had.

7 comments:

Just Mom said...

You're right. A lot of people don't realize there are a lot of people who are involved in those kinds of emergency calls. If I hadn't worked at a newspaper, I doubt I would have realized it either.

Lori said...

You are so right...all of you do deserve a thank you.

Amber said...

When I read that story this morning I thought, "I wonder if Kerrie was the dispatcher?"
I think it's amazing what you do. There is no way that I could keep my calm in situations like that.

Anonymous said...

Kerrie
You got me thinking about this. I hope I said thank you to the dispatcher when Dad was at my house that morning. The whole thing was so scary (as I wasn't sure if he was going to die on me right then and there) that I hope I told the dispatcher thank you before I hung up. Could you tell him thanks again from me, just in case. I was kind of a basket case and at the same time all my cpr and first aid training kept coming to my mind... Keep Calm!
You guys are the best.

Jennie Thompson said...

You guys do a great job - this I know!! I do know what it's like to work in a thankless job however!

Brandi said...

I agree with all comments above. You guys do a great job and its too bad it can't be recognized more often! I also think a lot of police officers out there putting their lives on the line as well. I am very proud of all who take part in helping save peoples lives. My father is a volunteer fire fighter in Miller and is very dedicated to what he does for them. I also live with a fire fighter here in Sioux Falls whom I respect greatly as well. Keep up the good work!

A mom said...

I agree! Well put Ker!