Thursday, February 22, 2007

Update-Thursday

I just got off the phone with Kerrie after 2 attempts to see what was going on. Darn doctors! No, just kidding!! She sounds so much better!! I tried to call yesterday afternoon but she was sleeping and I told the nurse "DON'T WAKE HER!" After talking with Justin last night he said, "Yeah, I woke up Kerrie yesterday." I almost had to slap him...no, just kidding again!! HA! (sorry Justin)...love ya!

Anyway, Jack is OFF of oxygen today and has been for 24 hours!!! He is maintaining his levels!!! YEAH!!!! They also found out what was wrong with him other than Para Influenza. That was just an illness on top of everything else. Okay so he has something called Laryngomalacia. Now if you can pronounce that...you're doing better than me!! Kerrie tried to explain what this was but when I was going to start explaining to all of you...I decided to look it up. Sooo...

Laryngomalacia results from a congenital anomaly of the larynx (voice box). A weakness in the structures in the larynx, can cause stridor. Stridor is a high-pitched sound that is heard best when the child breathes in (inspiration). This is present at birth. During fetal development, the structures in the larynx may not fully develop. As a result, there is a weakness in these structures at birth, causing them to collapse during breathing. The major symptom of this disorder is the stridor that is heard as the infant breathes. The stridor is usually heard when the infant breathes in (inspiration), but can also be heard when the infant breathes out (expiration). The stridor gets worse if the infant has an upper respiratory infection (for instance the PARA INFLUENZA that Jack has). In most cases, congenital laryngeal stridor is a harmless condition that resolves on its own, without medical intervention. The condition usually improves by the time the infant is 18 months old and has no long-term complications. In some cases, the stridor is apparent until about the age of 5. Each child's case is unique.


Hopefully that made some sense...I didn't include the whole article but only the parts that pertained to Jack. As you can see...it definitely makes sense. On top of that the poor child has acid reflux...ugh!

They are going ahead with the swallow test today at 10am to see if he is aspirating into his lungs. Tomorrow they will be doing another procedure where they put a camera down his nose to see if there is any irritation from the reflux (I believe on his larynx or esophagus). They were also going to do a sleep test to see if he had sleep apnea but must have decided against that (per Kerrie).

They are continuing with the tests they had ordered...once again to RULE out things. I am very happy to see they are doing EVERYTHING they can to make sure they don't miss something. That makes me very at ease and you can tell with Kerrie...she is satisfied with their care.

Claire is doing good. I think she is over her bout of runny nose and coughing. Actually I just called Justin to verify that information and he said she just had a slight cough last night but is doing well.

Justin, Claire and Nathan came to Pizza Hut last night for Dawson's birthday supper! I was so glad they came!! It meant alot to us to have them there!! Claire looked a little sad but Justin said she was tired. She apparently didn't go to sleep the night before until 11:30pm. She was kicking the side of her crib or the wall (not sure which one) and talking. Justin would go up there and say...

Justin: "Claire, you need to go to sleep"
Claire: "OKAY"
Justin: "Claire, stop kicking and go to sleep"
Claire: "OKAY"
Justin: "Claire, close your eyes"
Claire: "OKAY"

can you just see it??

Justin no longer walked down the hall and BOOM BOOM she was doing it okay! HA!! Okay, so that's not funny but...too cute!! So she must have been tired last night at supper! Kerrie said she stayed up last night until 1:30am! I think she is taking after her daddy! Up all night! I am sure she senses that mommy isn't home and things have been different! Hang in there Claire!!

I hope this is keeping you all as up to date on Jack as I have available. I didn't even hesitate when Kerrie asked me to update on her blog. If I could be at the hospital with Kerrie...I would be. Helping her...letting her sleep, getting her something to eat. Anything! But unfortunately I have responsibilities at home and with Dawson's birthday...it's become next to impossible. This family means the world to me and I would anything for them...anything...

6 comments:

Amber said...

As always, thanks for the update. I'm so glad Kerrie and Justin are starting to find out some answers!

~ Amy ~ said...

Thanks for the update..sounds like good news. At least now they know what they're dealing with.

Just Mom said...

Oh my gosh, that just sounds scary. I try not to do any internet research when Alex gets some kind of illness because the answers always freak me out.

I'm glad Jack was taken off the oxygen and is breathing on his own. I was getting very worried (as I'm sure Justin and Kerrie were).

Thank you so much for posting updates.

Lori said...

Thanks for the updates. It's good to know they are finding out what is wrong and helping them out.

Kari said...

There was a baby at the daycare that I worked at in Rapid City that had the same thing. She's bigger now and doesn't have any problems. It's a relief to know that it is something that will resolve itself. Tell Kerrie and Justin to take care of themselves and their family.

A mom said...

Thanks again Tracy! I am glad they are being taken such good care of, by the hospital and by you. Thanks for being such a good friend to Kerrie! I hope everyone has a friend like you!

Meyer family~ Hang in there! Things have got to improve soon and hopefully you will all get back to your normal routines. I am here if you need something!

Kerrie & Jack~ I hope you get to come home before the forcasted snow storm starts. I will feel so much better when I get to see your sunshining faces! :o)