Sunday, February 25, 2007

Recovering

Hi everyone! Before I get into an update, I'd like to thank you all for checking in each day to see how Jack was doing. Thank you for your thoughts, prayers, and encouraging words. A very special thank you to Tracy for her love and helping touch. A special thank you to Linda, Shannon, Mom, and Sharelle for calling each day to check in and offer any help that could be given. Knowing that there were so many people willing to help if needed made my stay away from home that much less complicated.


Jack and I got home Friday afternoon at 3pm. I've never been so happy to see my house. When I took him to the doctor on Monday I figured they would put him in the hospital. However, I thought he would just be there over night and not for 5 days. The hospital was busting with patients. They had people in toy closets and play rooms. Children with the same sickness were paired up in rooms together. That would NOT have been fun. I can't imagine that.

On Tuesday evening when Justin visited, there was a lady that came to the room to see if the kids would be coming as well. We didn't think we would have them come because I didn't to disturb the other people in the unit. The lady sent home a package for them. Nathan couldn't have been happier. Here is some of what he got.
He also got a measuring syringe for medicine that he was using to give shots. He told me he was going to have to give me some shots when I got home but until then he'd give them to Drake, his stuffed animal.Dr. Peach got in on the fun as well. She likes it because Nee-Nee (Natey) likes it. The kids were so happy to see us when we got home. It was so cute - it almost brought me to tears. Yesterday Natey and I ran to the store and Peach almost fell apart. I'm sure she wasn't sure if we'd come right back or if we'd be back in a week. Poor thing.

I'm very happy for all the testing they did on Jack. I felt like they really took care of him - leaving no stone unturned. On Thursday after being off oxygen for more than 24 hours, Jack had an hour where he went down below normal again. The lowest that the doctor wanted him to be at was 92. The machine that he was on would sound if it went lower than that. For an hour he was between 87 and 89. The nurses kept coming in and shaking his legs to get him to stir (he was taking a nap). They thought that if he would clear his throat by coughing then his oxygen level would increase. It didn't and they came in to talk about what to do. The nurse decided not to put him back on oxygen which was fine with me as long as he didn't need it. When he woke up his level went back up between 94-96 where it's supposed to be. EEEKKKK! It was some added stress that I really didn't need.

As for now, he's doing better. He doesn't seem to cough as much and hasn't had a choking spell since Tuesday. He's on a monitor that goes off if his heart beat is low, high or (Godforbid) stops. It also sounds if he stops breathing. Thankfully it has never gone off.
We're very happy to have our baby home and getting better. Thanks again for all your kind words and warm thoughts. This picture was taken of Jack today. As you can see, being sick can't keep a smile from this babys face.

10 comments:

Brandi said...

God Bless little Jack (and your family) for being a trooper through all of this. My heart goes out to you and your family through his sickness. I hope he is feeling better!

Just Mom said...

Go, Jack, go! What a guy. That smile just melts my heart. And hurray for Natey and Dr. Peach for holding down the fort so Mommy and Daddy didn't get too stressed. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Glad you are home and hope things get back to normal soon and everyone gets healthy and stays that way.
Susan

the boedecker family said...

Glad to hear you guys got home..I hope things get better soon. Cute pics of the kids!

Heidi Jo Comes said...

It is so good to see you posting again, not that I expect you to in the midst of all you've been through, but it's the only sign I have that your life might be returning to some degree of normalcy!

What a doll he is, I pray this is the beginning of a road of healing for your house!

Jennie Thompson said...

I'm so glad you guys are back and that everything possible that they could have done, was done!! Yeah Sanford Health!!

Ker, I missed you terribly!!!

Lori said...

Cute pictures of everyone~

I'm glad your little guy is starting to feel better.

Amber said...

Its so good to see Jack smiling!

Anonymous said...

Glad you are back home again! We will continue to pray for a fast recovery!

A mom said...

I am so happy you two made it home! I am sure your family was super happy too see you guys!

I hope everything is going okay. Sounds like the monitor Jack has will give you a little peace of mind. Hopefully things start looking up at the Meyer house. NO MORE SICK KIDS!!!