Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Jet Lag

I've felt like I've had jet lag the last few days. If you remember, the week before Jack was put in the hospital Justin was gone and I was taking care of the kids on my own. Justin came home on a Thursday and Jack was in the hospital on Monday. I was tired before 'sleeping' in a hospital room for a week. I use the word sleeping loosely. You know how it is, nurses come in, nurses go out. Not only did we have nurses but we had respiratory people coming in every 4 to 6 hours to give Jack a breathing treatment. Then of coarse there were the test. Due to the type of testing Jack was having, he couldn't eat for hours before them so the nurse would come in so that I could feed him one last time. It was exhausting for both of us.

I have to tell you what I think is a funny story about the Pulmonologist, Dr. Lundien.


Photo from www.sanfordhealth.org



He's a very nice and friendly man. He came into Jack's room to see if there was anything he could do for Jack, on Dr. Henry's request of coarse. The second he started talking it was obvious that he wasn't from around here. He had a very definate southern accent. Every time I hear someone talk with the twang it doesn't take long before I find myself following suit. I though 'oh lord' as he stared to speak. We spoke for a bit and then he asked me to tell him about Jack's choking spells. I said "You can always tell when he's fixin' to wake up because he'll start to cough and that's when he chokes." The second I said "fixin'" all bets were off. It was very funny. After I got done talking he was explaining something to me. I don't even remember what it was right now, but he gave some 'back woods' explanation - a 'Dr. Phil ism' if you will. I couldn't take it any longer. I started laughing and said "Oh lord! You are so from the south." He said "You started it! You said fixin'!" It was very funny.

The funny thing is that the moment he walked into the room he reminded me of my brother. I'm not sure if it was the southern accent (Dr. Lundien is from Mississippi) or the red hair or maybe just a combination of both. It doesn't matter I guess. I felt great comfort around him and that was nice. Every time he'd walk by our room he'd give a friendly wave. When I got home I looked at his bio on the Sanford Health website. Much to my surprise, his name is also Matthew - the same as my brother.

I think I'm finally getting caught up on my sleep. Jack is finally getting back on a schedule. He started sleeping through the night right before he was put in the hospital and due to being poked, prodded, tested and such, I thought it would take forever for him to get back on any kind of a sleep schedule. Much to my surprise he's slept through the night the past few days.

I just got a call from Natey's pre-school teacher saying that they were calling off school. Hallelujah! Justin is working the day shift today and I was going to have to take all the kids out to get Natey to and from school. The weather is horrible out - so them calling off school was music to my ears. Now - let it snow!

5 comments:

Jennie Thompson said...

"You started it. You said fixin'." That's hilarious. I could just see the two of you!! And I'm jealous of Jack sleeping through the night. We're getting there at least.
Love you.

Lori said...

It great to have a good Dr. that makes you feel at ease.

Glad to hear you are feeling better and more rested up.

Tracy said...

(I am sticking my tongue out at you)

Just Mom said...

Oh my gosh, Kerrie! Alex's pediatric pulmonologist, Dr. James Wallace, also has a twang of some sort. You suppose it's a prerequisite?

A mom said...

Jack was probably so wore out from them waking him all the time, that he wanted to get some sleep too. I hope you get caught back up somewhat, but I know that is just a fairy tale when you have little ones.

That accent thing is so true. I have been to tennesse several times and by the end of the week you find your self talking like them. Day-gum!