Monday, January 15, 2007

What on earth was that noise?

(I realize this will post on Monday, but in my brain it's still Sunday. Therefore the yesterday I'll be referring to is Saturday.)

Saturday I worked from 4-midnight. My normal shift is 8am-4pm, but Justin had a meeting he wanted to attend so I switched my shift. The only bad thing about doing that is after getting off at midnight I had to be back at work by 8am. Saturday at about 11:30pm Justin got on messenger and asked that I come home right after work. Jack had been fussy since about 5 that afternoon and Justin needed a break. After having a very fussy Jack earlier in the week I knew exactly how he felt and hoped that nothing would happen right at shift change. Luckily nothing happened (it usually does) and I was home by 10 after 12. I thought Jack might have been fighting a bit of a cold or something because he'd been pretty congested that day. Justin went to bed and I took care of Jack. He didn't sleep well at all which obviously meant I didn't either. At 5:15am I was awakened by a very strange noise. I had no idea what it was or where it was coming from. I listened closer and realized it was coming from Jack. Have any of you had a child with croup? That's exactly what Jack sounded like. Then he coughed and there was no question where it was coming from. It was horrible. I scooped him up and took him into the bedroom and woke Justin up. Due to the noise Jack was making, I wasn't sure if he was having a hard time breathing or what was going on. It sounded as if he was having a hard time breathing, however, I was pretty distracted by the loud noise that was coming out of such a little being. Finally I took him back out to the couch and slept with him until 7:22 (I'd hit snooze on my alarm since 6:45.) I woke Justin up and asked him to help me out. I needed to get ready and Jack was hungry and needed changed. Justin got up and we tried to decide on our plan of attack. I wanted Justin to take Jack to Sioux Falls to see a doctor. After Claire was septic when she was a baby and so sick, I'm not even close to being willing to take a chance with a sick child. Justin said he would if I could get someone to take the other kids. I was on my way out the door and told him I was going to call Tracy and that I'd be getting back in touch with him. On my way to work I called Tracy and woke her up. I told her that I needed her help, never doubting that she wouldn't say yes. I told her about Jack and asked if she could keep Natey and Claire. As I knew she would, she said yes without hesitation.


Justin took the kids over and took Jack to Sioux Falls. I waited restlessly at work. I was sure Jack was going to be put in the hospital. If you could hear the noise coming out of this child you would too. Finally Justin got done seeing the doctor and called to give me the news. The doctor (PA) said that Jack didn't have croup but had a virus in his throat. (Um, ok.) He said there was nothing he could do for him. Justin told him that we have his sister's nebulizer (sp) and wanted to know if we could use it. He said that would be fine and we could also give him Tylenol. I don't have a ton of faith in this doctor since it so happens to be a doctor from Madison, but we'll take his word for now. We also have a humidifier right next to Jack pretty much non stop.

After getting the news I called and let Tracy know since I knew she'd be concerned. Then I called Pam to see if by chance anyone at daycare had a similar sickness and if so what the doctor might have said to them. She wasn't home so I didn't get to talk to her. (She did call back later tonight and said she knew of no sick kids.)

OH - this is the best part. Justin told the doctor that Jack had been quite fussy lately and also very gassy. He said that it sounded like colic to him and wondered if any of the other kids had colic. Justin told him they didn't. I don't know much about colic, but why on earth would it just now rear its ugly head? My cousin's daughter had colic and she never stopped crying. Just tonight I had Jack laying on the floor and all was great with the world. I don't think it's colic. Whatever......

So that's what we did today. I was shot when I got home. I cooked supper, ate, and went to bed. I couldn't keep my eyes open any longer. I slept for 3 hours and it felt great. Since getting up I've been sneezing and my nose has been running. I hope I'm not getting sick.

I was supposed to take Jack to the doctor tomorrow for his well baby check, but it's snowing to beat the band right now. They've said 3-6 inches so we'll see. Jennie said she's going shopping come hell or high water. (Ladies - I think it's time for an intervention.) She said she'd call and give me a road report. I doubt I'll be going any where.

Tracy - thank you SO much for helping us out today. I'm not sure what I'd do without your thoughtfulness.

Have a good week everyone!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope Jack feels better soon and that you don't get sick now or that the other 2 kids don't get this. Don't you just love winter!

Susan

Amber said...

How scary...I hope he starts feeling better!

Tracy said...

Your welcome sweetie! I just hope Jack feels better soon. I, myself, am on the fence about Caymen. It is NOT fun to have sick kids and doctors say "it's a virus!" UGH!

Just Mom said...

Kerrie,

Alex has had several attacks of croupy stuff, and each time we took him to the emergency room (here) the doctor on call gave him a shot of low-dose steroid to clear his breathing passages. It always worked within 30 minutes. We use Linda K's nebulizer that she's loaned us when Alex gets that sick (thank you so much Linda), and we also keep a supply of albuterol on hand. The last time we used the nebulizer on Alex was, I think, last Valentine's Day.

Anyway, I hope you all are doing better and sleeping well now. Keep us posted.

Jennie Thompson said...

Intervention my ass! I didn't get done all that I wanted to so I might be treking back to SF again this weekend.

I'm anxious to see what the doctors have to say tomorrow when you go down. I don't know about you but I sure feel better when I have an actual pediatrician looking at my child. Best of luck.

Anonymous said...

Barking seal...that's how I would describe Alec's croup last week. I could not believe such a noise could come from a baby. Freaked me out. But we're finally on the road to recovery. His fever broke on Saturday, and he slept all night last night. Yes! There is hope!!

the boedecker family said...

Kerrie I hope your little guy is feeling better soon!! It is hard to have them sick and have the doctor not say what you wanted to hear!! I always go to my regular doctor if the one I had to see doesn't make me feel satisfied!! As far as the colic goes...if he has it you will know with no questions asked!!!!! Barb Boedecker