Thursday, November 16, 2006

Our little glow worm

Yesterday Jack was finally given a bili blanket. We noticed him turning yellow sometime Saturday and talked to the nurse about it. She agreed and they tested his bilirubin early Sunday morning. His first test result was 11.1. Then they tested him again Monday morning early and he was at 13.1. Dr. Henry said that since it wasn't a big jump, he didn't think that Jack needed a blanket just yet. He asked about nursing and him pooping/peeing and such and decided we'd just have him tested on Tuesday and go from there. We did just that and he tested 15.5. It was then that I would have liked for him to have a blanket, but I'm not the doctor so he didn't. We tested again this morning and he was at 16.5. Dr. Henry was out of the office so another doctor decided it was time that we put him on the blanket. I'd normally been feeding him about every 3 hours or so and they said that I needed to feed him every 2 hours and supplement with formula. Well, I wasn't happy about the formula part and really don't think that me nursing him is the problem. I'm making enough milk - he's just not awake enough to drink it all. They gave me the ok not to supplement and that's when she said that I need to get him up every 2 hours to nurse. I think he just needs the extra little help from the blanket. I guess we'll see. We'll have him tested again this morning. He's only been on the blanket since about 8 last night. I'm not sure if that will be enough, but as I said, we'll see.


This is how Natey spends a lot of his day. He LOVES to look at Jack and give me updates on what he's doing. I think it really makes him feel as though he's helping out. Natey's been acting very goofy lately and I'm sure we have Jack to thank for that. We know it will pass and try to be patient, but we also have to put the kabosh on behavior that's less than favorable. He does a lot of showing off which drives me crazy. Doesn't matter if it's my child or someone else's, when kids Natey's age or a little older show off, it gets on my nerves for some reason. This too shall pass though - and I know it.

Last evening Nathan went with me to run a few errands. I had to run to Lewis drug after picking up the bili blanket. The lady freaked me out that gave me the blanket. She talked about making sure Jack didn't get sun burned and taking his temp every 4 hours. YIKES! Claire was on a bili blanket and nobody ever said anything like that to me. I called Tracy because Caymen came home with a blanket as well and she'd never been told these things either. I was freaked out that I was going to cook my poor new baby! Anyway, we some how lost our thermometer so I was going to get a new one at Lewis when I stopped there to pick up some pictures for Sharelle. We passed by some NASCAR chapstick that I pointed out to Nathan. I wouldn't have pointed it out had he not needed 'lipstick' before school today. After seeing the chapstick he HAD to have it. It was about a dollar so I got it for him. He was so excited. He'd "been looking for that for about a hundred years!" he told me. He kept calling it lipstick and I thought I better try to change that before his dad heard him talking about needing some lipstick. I told him that boys use chapstick. Thankfully he was fine with that and couldn't wait to use it. He was beside himself with joy trying to open the package to use "what did you call the boy lipstick mom?" (giggle) He wanted to sleep with it but I told him no. He put it on the table so he could put it right in his pocket today when he gets dressed. Sometimes it's just the little things that matter I guess.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog made me cry. You are such a wonderful mom and a very caring and fun person. I'm so happy to have you in my life and call you my friend.

Here's a BIG HUG FOR YOU!!

Kerrie said...

Thank you for saying that. It was very kind. (kiss)