Wednesday, November 22, 2006

You're in! You're out (I'm what?) YOU'RE IN!

Yesterday was a bit of a roller coaster ride for me. Jack had his first check up at 9:15 with Dr. Henry. My doctors nurse called and said that I had an appointment with the Neurologist at 10:45. I was VERY happy to have that appointment because 9 days of a headache was ENOUGH! We took Jack to see the doctor and he's doing so well. He's up to 7 pounds - that's his birth weight plus 5 ounces (YEA ME!). I KNEW he didn't need that stinky formula (toot toot - that was my own horn).

After seeing Dr. Henry, we just wasted time until I was to see the Neurologist. I'd turned my phone off during Jack's appointment and forgot to turn it back on. I got a chime saying that I had missed a call. I looked and didn't recognize the number. I listened to the voice mail (as we were pulling into the neurologists parking lot) and it was the neurologists office saying that they had to cancel my appointment and they'd see me on December 4th. DECEMBER 4th?? I've had this headache for 9 days now and now they can't see me until December 4th? I called them back to see what on earth I was going to do now. The receptionist was of no help. She said that my doctor wanted me to have a consultation and nobody had time for that so that's why I was being pushed back to the 4th. I told her over and over that I've had this horrible headache for 9 days and she really could have cared less. It was horrible. We hung up and I stared bawling. I could hardly contain myself I was so sad. I called Dr. Hassebroeks nurse back to find out what I was going to do. I couldn't continue like this!

Poor Justin didn't know what to say to me. I just sat in the seat next to him sobbing. We had other things to do in Sioux Falls, so we went on with what needed to be done. Justin went into Menard's and I stayed in the van. While he was in the store, I got a call from another number I didn't know. I was still crying at this point. My head hurt so bad and I didn't bring my medication with me because I thought I was going to get to see the doctor. Life wasn't so great for me at that moment. I answered the phone and it was the neurologists office again. She said "are you sick of us yet?". I told her I wasn't, but that I was very sad (as I sat there crying). She said they had someone cancel and that I could be seen at 1:15 if I still wanted to come. UM - YES PLEASE......DUH!!!

So we did some of our other running around and Dr. Hassebroek's office called and asked what was going on. I told the nurse that they were going to see me now and she asked what happened. She told me that she didn't think they understood her this morning either - the urgency. She said that she told them that I was having a hard time taking care of Jack because of this headache which still didn't seem to make a difference. Anyway, she was glad that I was going to be seen and told me to call if I needed anything else.

By one o'clock I was in horrible pain. My head felt as if it were going to explode. I went to my appointment and found out that this had been a migraine. I didn't realize that there were different kinds of migraines. I thought people with migraines were throwing up and couldn't function. I could function, not well, but I could function. I got 2 shots in my neck and either 2 or 4 in my head. I couldn't tell how many went into my head because the pain was so intense. I know I got two for sure, but there seemed to be other poking going on. I'll figure it out when I get the bill I guess.

The doctor let me sit in her office for about 25 minutes until the medication kicked in. It was clear that after 25 minutes the shots hadn't worked as well as they did last time. I was still in quite a bit of pain. She wanted me to go to the hospital for some kind of infusion. I think it was some kind of medication concoction. It was about 2:30 by then and I didn't have time to do that because we'd left Nathan and Claire at Pam's. She gave me a prescription for some pain medication, another for physical therapy (which Justin thinks is a HUGE rip off because it's basically for a message), and told me that if I had any pain at all today that I needed to call back and she's schedule the infusion.

I think my headache was worse after the shots. My shoulders were tight and it felt as though I'd been tense for two weeks. Not as much fun as one would think. ;)

I took the medication that she gave me and it knocked me out. I had a very hard time getting up with Jack because I could hardly keep my eyes open. It's hard enough getting up two or three times a night, but I felt as though I might not be able to hold Jack because I was so tired. Thankfully when Justin got up he took care of Jack for as long as he could until he needed to be fed again. I was still tired though. I don't know that I'll be taking that medication again any time soon.

Ok, so as you could guess, I woke up with the headache. Jack had to go to the hospital to have his blood drawn again (poor sweet little guy) and I needed to speak to the Neurologist to see if I should go to Sioux Falls for the infusion or not. Justin took Jack while I waited for the call from Sioux Falls. Finally at 2:15 they called and said that I needed to be there at 3:30 for the infusion. Nothing like a last minute deal! Justin and Natey were doing some running around and Claire was sleeping. I'd just sat down to feed Jack when I got that call. I called Justin's cell quick and told him that we needed to go - and quickly. He rushed home, got Claire ready and we were off. They told me that I'd need someone to drive me home, so that's why Justin had to come as well. So the end of the long story is that I got the infusion and my headache is gone after 10 long days. What a sigh of relief - literally!

Today my BFF, Tracy, had surgery to have her spleen taken out. This was in hopes of helping her blood disease that I've talked about on here before. I told her that I'd come to see her if I came to Sioux Falls, but when I talked to her she wasn't doing very well and I didn't want to take all the kids in there with me for a visit. She said that she was in the most pain that she's ever been in and that she'd been dry-heaving. Poor thing. Hopefully this will all be worth it and she'll be better when I talk to her tomorrow. Please keep her in your prayers.

A post wouldn't be a post without pictures, right? I took these of Claire today. She cracks me up. She knows no boundaries. If Natey can do it then so can Claire. She might not be able to do it as well, but she's SURE as heck going to try.
Put her in coach - she's ready for the Powder Puff! The funny part about her wearing this thing is that she doesn't HAVE to have it on correctly to enjoy it. Today she was looking out of the circle in the side of helment. VERY funny to her mother - very - funny!

I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving. It's my all time favorite holiday. We'll be spending ours in Milbank with my family. I have SO much to be thankful for. I hope you do as well.

5 comments:

Kari said...

I'm so glad they got your headaches taken care of. My whole family gets migraines, so I know how terrible it is to have a headache.

When you see Tracy, please tell her that I'm thinking of her and wishing her a speedy recovery.
Thanks!

Kerrie said...

I will sure do that Kari!

Anonymous said...

Hey Kerrie~
I feel SO bad hearing about all of your pain this last week and a half!
My hubby is a chiropractor and if we lived close you could go to him!! Oh, and if you have a script for a massage, GET IT! If you have a good therapist you will feel so much better with all of your shoulder tension from the migraine! They treat migraines at his office and people get wonderful results with no drugs!
But anway....
Beautiful pictures! Jack looks wonderful, Nathan looks like a character and Claire looks like a little hammy for the camera!!
Hope you guys had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

the boedecker family said...

kerrie I feel for you as I get migraines as well after my 4th child and they have never figured out how to stop them for me or what really causes them...they told me that after my hysterectomy it should get better and it HASN"T!! I wish you the best of luck with this and hope that it doesnt become a common occurrance for you!! Your kids are absolutly beautiful!!
If you talk to Tracy again please tell her I have been thinking and praying for her and hope everything gets better soon!!
Thanks!!

Tracy said...

I was really beginning to wonder what the heck you meant by this title!!! YIKES!! Hee hee!

Thanks for all the phone calls and for being an awesome friend!

Much love!